*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2159324-Sovereign
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2159324
Flash Fiction under 1000w ~ Fantasy/Shifter with a touch of romance
Sovereign

"Mya, shhh. Look at me. Breathe."

She swallows, staring back at me.

Not three hours ago, her green eyes held the vibrancy of a usual member of The Tarae, eager for her first battle.

She had only been appointed leader of our female battalion a fortnight ago. I saw to it that she was ready for this day.

Who knew victory would snuff out such pride in her ability to take down King of Bainor's First in Command?

She trembles. Shock twists into despair, the longer I watch, her beautiful eyes well with tears. My abdomen tightens, a slow ache starting up in my chest. She chokes on a sob, a strangled noise rolling up out of her throat and drawing the attention of the crowd around us.

"Shhh," I pull her against me, surrounding her slender, blood smeared body with my own. "Breathe. I'm here."

She grasps at my shoulders, her nails sinking into my skin. I loosen the leather straps on the ornate helmet she'd so carefully donned this morning and let it clatter to the packed dirt at our feet.

She shudders, hot tears slide down my chest, escaping through the opening of my leather jerkin.

Bron, my first officer steps forward, concern creasing his brow. I shoot him a fierce scowl, halting him in his tracks. The crowd murmurs their confusion, looking at each other with questions I can neither hear nor answer.

Mya straightens her back and pulls in a steadying breath.

"I've got you," I whisper against her temple, her soft skin cool and sweaty

Reluctantly stepping away from her, I reach out with my thoughts to Ehlena. Closing my eyes, I summon the blessing she bestowed upon my people.

Heat whips through my body, a flash of white light distupts the atmosphere with a violent whoosh and I am transformed.

Standing in front of my Queen in equine form, I raise my head high, scanning the crowd and command silence. They acquiesce, gently bowing their heads and their respect immediately fills the cool Autumn air around me.

Mya doesn't look at me and I sense her guilt and regret. The Tarae did what was necessary to ensure our safety and longevity as the rightful people of this land. She eliminated the threat to us, along with the men to back it up.

While I understand the aftermath she feels for taking that life, now was not the time to let that show.

I snort, blowing warm breath across her shoulders, demanding her attention. Her red rimmed eyes meet mine with resignation. It isn't enough.

I stomp my hooves, striking like drumfire. She lifts her head a notch higher, her mouth flattening in denial.

I arch my neck, tension rolling through my heavy muscles and bare my teeth. Annoyance flickers in her eyes. This is no time for obstinance, my Mya.

I move into a trot, circling her and forcing the people back. Her compassion for the loss of life is part of what makes her our queen. The grace to put it behind her and carry on, putting our kingdom first is what keeps them loyal.

I need the courageous Leader of Tarae. The one I live for.

Stopping directly in front of her, I let out a battle cry, piercing the air and lower my head at her feet, blowing a harsh breath through my nostrils.

She touches my neck, "Cam?"

I drop to one knee, needing her to understand what I'm asking of her. It's unheard of. Riders are forbidden. Until now.

I nicker softly, trying to convey my trust as well as what this could cost me. Her breath hitches and I lower my other knee, my answer to her silent question.

She trails her hand along my neck and I get to my feet, swinging my head around to nip discreetly at her curvy bottom. How many times have I done that exact thing while in our human forms, encouraging her to take her natural role in our bed?

Her lip curves upward at one corner, determination chasing away her grief. Mya was born to be Queen, she just needs a little direction. Trading in my pride for hers is something I will do until I take my last breath. Love does that to a man.

Grasping my shorn mane, she vaults up onto my back. I sidestep, her weight taking me off guard despite my asking for it. Gasps rise up from the crowd and Bron stares at me, horrified.

She steadys herself, her thighs hugging my broad barrel. Instinct rushes through me to bolt, but I force it back. Bunching my hindquarters, I prance and try to rid the nervous energy flowing through my body.

Filling the court yard with a trumpeting whinny, I proclaim Mya's position. Its my statement of her signifigance in this realm. Her realm

"People of Aquilal!" Mya calls out, firm and sure. She strokes my withers, her movements subtle and eases my agitation."The Tarae has overthrown Dune, King of Bainor and his first in command has fallen. We are victorious!"

Emotion spreads across my chest at her strong tone, The crowd unites, their cheers and whistles of celebration fill my ears. Adrenaline surges deep and my pride settles back in place.

"I am proud to be one of the Tarae, let us rejoice this day and feast at Sundown Meal."

After many felicitations and heartfelt bowing, the small crowd dissipates, leaving us alone in the courtyard.

My ears twitch back as she inhales, stroking the crest of my neck like she's gathering her emotions.

"Thank you," she breathes, leaning into my mane and resting her cheek against my neck. "Will I ever be ready for this journey ahead of me?"

As my Queen, she'll never have to worry about what's ahead, because of what's beneath her. Her King.
© Copyright 2018 Olivia Shane (olivias at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2159324-Sovereign