*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2159016-Sacrifice
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #2159016
This is a persuasive essay based off of Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables."
Sacrifice

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

-John 8:32

         The ex-convict's mind raced. He was Jean Valjean. The man going on trial, Champmattheiu, was not. Jean Valjean had been freed, only to stupidly commit another crime. He had stood on a boy's coin and chased him away with a stick, which was considered armed robbery, and would have put him in jail for life. However, he had not been arrested. Years later, after becoming a completely new man, he was free; or so he thought. He was still being searched for, and he had been found. Only, the Jean Valjean that had been found was not Jean Valjean. It seemed a way to get out of his former life completely. Should he take that excuse and forget about the condemned man, or should he turn himself in? Jean Valjean decided to take the honorable way and save the man on trial from life in prison. He made the right choice for three reasons: it was just, it was against his nature to stand by while others suffered, and he would be following God's example.
         To start, as obvious as it may be, for Jean to sacrifice himself was the just thing to do. He had committed the robbery. Although he was under strong suspicion of a separate theft, Champmattheiu had not. In this case, the matter of justice is that simple. However, what does that mean? Why should we be worried about what is just? The equally simple answer is that to do the just thing is right, especially, even exclusively, when a lack of justice would deprive others, not oneself. This was the case in Jean Valjean's situation. Proverbs 21:3 says, "To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice." This means that even if Jean Valjean had stayed and devoted his life to God, it would not have been right. God would want him to do what is just.
Next, Jean Valjean was no longer the man he once was. He was now an honorable gentleman, a selfless mayor who did not stand by without helping those who were suffering. He was a Christian, a newly renovated building, a redeemed man. He had shown through his actions that he would throw himself on the line for others. He saved children in a fire, rushing into a collapsing building with no regard for his own safety and courageously rescuing the two kids before it was too late. He came to the rescue for a sick and homeless woman, offering to care for her and her fatherless daughter. Finally, he saved a man being crushed by a buggy, even when it might risk the discovery of his true identity. A man like this would be hard pressed to ignore his heart and let another man suffer because he was mistakenly identified as Jean Valjean.
         However, the greatest reason to sacrifice himself for Champmattheiu was that Jean Valjean would be following in his Savior and Lord's footsteps. The reason he had become the man he was now was because of the kindness and sacrifice shown to him by a certain priest named Bienvenu. When Valjean had stolen from the Godly man, not only did Bienvenu not press charges, he also gave to Valjean more than he had stolen. However, Bienvenu was only following God's example. Jean Valjean was the recipient of kindness from God to a much higher degree. Not only was he blessed with favor and prosperity, Valjean also received forgiveness from sins and an eternal relationship with God. To add to this, Jesus showed kindness over and over again in His lifetime. He showed it to the harlot in John 7. His whole life was filled with examples of sacrifice as he devoted his life to God and cared for all who came to him. All this led up to the ultimate sacrifice, when Jesus died on a cross to save all of humankind from an eternity without Him. He and his Father were the act that Valjean was supposed to follow. Jesus calls his followers to take up their crosses and follow Him (Matthew 16:24) in a life of sacrifices and kindness in His Name. Jean Valjean was one of Christ's followers, and how much more should he show compassion to the criminal, when it was for Jean's own crimes that the man was suffering.
         Some would argue that Monsieur Valjean should not have given himself up because he was needed where he was. He had promised Fantine, the homeless woman that was mentioned earlier, that he would take care of Cosette, her daughter. Plus, he was mayor. His town needed him. To add to this, his strength and courage continued to save lives as there was the need. However, God can replace those he calls to a different place. If it was right for Valjean to leave, another would take his place. When one is called to do something, they obey and let God work out good through the situation. Others might argue that he had no obligation to save the man. He was a criminal who had been caught and mistaken after supposedly stealing apples, after all. It was Valjean's chance to leave his old life behind for good. Besides, it was the police's mistake, not his. However, Valjean was guilty. So if the criminal was convicted, he would suffer for life because of Valjean's mistake. As I explained, he could not let that happen in good conscience. These arguments are therefore rendered invalid.
         Valjean made the right choice because it was against his nature as a Christian and a gentleman to let the criminal suffer. He was expected to sacrifice himself for Champmattheiu because it was just. Also, as his follower, Valjean was called to be an imitator of Christ and His Father. Jean Valjean, however, is not the only one called to sacrifice. All of Jesus' followers are supposed to "pick up their crosses." Whether they sacrifice their time, their reputation, their habits, or their lives, every Christian should follow in their Savior's footsteps and live a life of sacrifice.

© Copyright 2018 Happy Dragon (happydragon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2159016-Sacrifice