*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158814-Cartoonitis
by Molly
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2158814
Rusty gets more than just chicken pox after spending a week quarantined to his room.
Rusty was quarantined to his room about 3 days ago with the chicken pox. No school. No Homework--just endless days and nights resting in his bed watching cartoons.

On day four, even though his fever broke and he felt a bit better, Mom found several yellow pustules on his back.

"You still got a few that haven't scabbed over yet," Mom said, lifting Rusty's arms and inspecting his armpits. "Guess, I'll call the school and let them know you'll be out again today.

Rusty leaned back on his pillows and continued watching television. Today it was a marathon Scooby Doo. Yesterday there was a whole day of The Looney Tunes and the day before that--the Flintstones.

Mom brought Rusty his breakfast and went about her daily chores, stopping in only to give her boy his meals and something to drink.

Day 5: Mom went in early that morning to count how many pustules remained. She opened the door and flipped the light switch.

Rusty sat up rubbing his eyes. "What's going...I say, what's going on here?"

Mom lifted his shirt to count the pox.

"Unhand me, wabbit!" Rusty said.

"Stop that, Rusty. You know I need to check for pox." She pulled his shirt down. "Yep, still have a few juicy ones. I'll call the school."

Rusty curled up in his covers and dozed off until Mom came back with his breakfast. She shook him, "Rusty, wake up and eat your breakfast."

Rusty sat up and stared at his plate of eggs and sausage, "Mmmm...my favorite pterodactyl eggs."

"What are you talking about? Are you delirious from fever?" Mom pressed her lips to his forehead. "You're cool as a cucumber."

"I bet you say that to all the wabbits," Rusty said through a mouthful of scrambled eggs.

Mom shook her. "Rusty, you stop with that crazy talk or I'll..."

"No! Don't tell me. It's the suspense that gets me."

"Now that's enough, Rusty. No more cartoon quotes. I mean it!" Mom shook her finger at him.

"I hope you know this means war!" Rusty replied, smiling.

Mom sat down on the bed next to Rusty and looked him in the eyes. "I'm not joking. I'll call Dr. Baugh! And he may give you a shot. Now, stop with the nonsense."

Rusty lowered his brow. " You bad ol'puddy-tat!"

Mom sprang up from the bed. "I'm calling him right now." She slinked over the door. "Dr. Baugh's coming with his black bag, probably full of needles for shots."

"Go right ahead, you long-eared galoot!" Rusty said.

She opened the door and found her phone and requested a house call. Pacing up and down the hall, she wondered if her son was losing his mind. Did the chicken pox virus go to his brain?" She looked at her watch. "What is taking him so long? I told him it was an emergency." She said under her breath.

She peeked in at Rusty. "Honey, how are you feeling?"

"I sure could go for a Scooby snack." Rusty licked his lips and rubbed his tummy.

The doorbell rang. Mom raced to the door. "I'm so glad you're here, Doctor. I don't know what happened he was fine yesterday and then this morning he started talking nonsense cartoon quotes I think I'm not sure I'm afraid the virus is affecting his brain and he'll be..."

"Slow down, Mrs. Simms. I'm sure he's fine. Just lead me to him, and I'll look him over."

Mom tapped on Rusty's door. "Sweetie, Dr. Baugh is here to see you."

"What's up, Doc," He said picking up a crayon from his nightstand and nibbled it.

Mom snatched it from his hand. "Rusty, that is not a carrot!"

The doctor asked Rusty his name, and he replied, " Pudntain. "

Dr. Baugh looked in Rusty's eyes, felt his neck, and game a thorough exam. "Well, you look fine, Pudntain, "He snickered.

"I don't find this funny, Doctor. What is wrong with my boy?"

"Cartoonitis." Dr. Baugh said.

"Sufferin' succotash." Rusty replied.

Dr. Baugh put his hand on Mom's back. "Let's step out into the hall."

"What is it? Is it serious?" Rusty's mom's eyes begged the doctor for an answer.

"Let me ask you a question. Has Rusty spent this whole week watching cartoons?"

"Well, yes. I made him stay in bed and he has a TV in his room."

"Yep that explains it. It's clearly a cause of cartoonitis. All that TV has gone to his head."

"Cartoonitis?! Is it serious? Does he need medication?"

"No. No. It's not serious." The doctor smiled. "You don't even need a prescription for a cure. Make Rusty watch a few hours of public television. Let him watch some animal documentaries and some real-life situations. He can even a read a book, but absolutely no watching cartoons. He'll be fine in 12 to 24 hours."


"Oh, thank you Doctor." She shook his hand. "I'll go turn the station right away and get started on his treatment."

In a few days, Rusty was over his cartoonitis. His pox dried up and he returned to school. {/
© Copyright 2018 Molly (gooble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158814-Cartoonitis