*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156737-why-cant-life-just-be-nice
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2156737
Contest entry, and I am expressing some recent experience..
Our eyes are moist and hearts heavy since yesterday

She had walked in to our home and hearts to lodge herself forever when she was 2 or 3 years old- our bundle of joy, delight,

exasperation, frustration.... Came home in a basket. We didn't have to fill in any adoption forms nor adhere to procedures.

She made her intentions clear she was here to stay, heading straight to my elder daughter's room to clamber on the bed.

From then on, both were inseperable. She didn't go to school but tutored at home by my wife.

Awaiting her Didi to return from school to welcome her so effusively.

Always ravenous, even after her meals she had to plead like

Oliver Twist with " May I have some more?"

while we were seated at the table. Her pleas so fervent, we always had to give in.

The first. to wake-up in the mornings on hearing the fridge door opening for her share.

Of course I had to share my biscuits -the accompaniment for my morning tea as my father-in -law had to...

No, the guests, too , were not spared. The affable, charming and loving nature she had.

Tragedy struck us when she was diagnosed with a malignant tumor. One leg had to to be amputated.

She was grace personified during and after - her grace read as courage under stress and pain, to hobble but still out run us fleet-

footed folks.

That was 2011.

But the damage was done and slowly but surely, the malignancy spread first on her skin, then the bone after the mammary portion.

Yet the spirit in her had to be lauded. Age and time took a toll for us finally left with no choice but to take that decision of being

Cruel to be Kind. We had to let go of her.

Pepcee our 11 years Labradog not Labrador was administered the injection yesterday.

My wife and I were there caressing her reassuring her. Her big eyes communicated she knew she was leaving us to rest in

eternal bliss forever. Yesterday was a bleak day as we buried her in her backyard.

Forced ourselves to eat, going through the motion for the body. Sleep deprived. Red eyed all of us at home this morning .

The girl who had stopped eating licked clean the ice-cream we fed her.

Her last meal. She knew as they know she had to go.

This morning tea experience was not the same as it never will be.

Gone is the joy of returning home after a long tour anticipating the wagging tail, the welcome barks,

demand for the chocolate or biscuit...

Pepcee wish we human beings learned to live and love like you rather ponder on why just life can be nice..

Life can be nice if we learn to live in the moment and enjoy each moment.

Pepcee gave us a deeper meaning of life and showed us to live in the moment and enjoy it, to make life nice.

498 words
© Copyright 2018 sindbad (sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156737-why-cant-life-just-be-nice