*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155351-Quorum
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #2155351
Making hard decisions
Four walls of light sage surrounded the large oak table. Circling the table were ten plain oak high-back chairs, and one ornately carved oak high-back at the far end of the room. Ten councilors in white flowing woolen robes were attentive to the president, his purple robes of similar cut, but embroidered to reflect his rank. It was a mark of honor to sit upon the council.

These were the most respected members of the company, yet none of them wanted to be here. At least not for this.

But the time had come. The end of the line had been reached. There are only so many ways you can work around someone before action has to be taken.

We had been listing infractions all morning. Most of us were giving examples of incidents that had caused one of our company to be brought up for review by the council.

“Last week, Gilroy Johnson woke up to find a cow missing from his barn. The cow was found, partially butchered, in the possession of our subject. When he was confronted, the only defense given was that our subject was out of prime steaks, and the cow had just been standing there in the field. Community property, he claimed.”

“Several people have reported seeing him paint the word ‘retard’ across the door to Mike Potter’s shop.”

Stories from around the company piled up. It seemed like there was a never ending supply of infractions as far as our subject was concerned.

“Is there anyone who would like to stand up in his defense?” The president wanted to make sure both sides of the issue had a chance to be heard.

“I feel so bad. He is so great with his kids.”

There always seems to be one in every group, and for us, that one was Pat. A spineless little weasel who was always trying to please everyone, even at the risk of personal harm to herself.

“You know, we could always give him one more chance.”

“Pat! Get real! It’s been more than two years overdue now, and if anything, things are getting worse!” James had been pacing around the conference room all morning, and this outburst was the first time he had made eye contact with any of us.

“Yes, but are we sure we have done ever…”

“Pat!” James’ face drained, then flushed red from his ears down through his neck. He pulled out his chair, then dropped into his seat, arms flung across the table, palms slamming onto the large oaken surface. “With everything this man has put us through, how do you keep on defending him the way you do?”

It might have been just a simple question, but it caused all of us to stop and stare James square in the face. Gears were churning in all of our heads, replaying the incidents that had led us to this place.

“But we’ve never taken it this far before.”

“True.” It was the first time all day that I had spoken up. “But at the same time, I don’t think we’ve ever been pushed this far before, either.”

“Do we have any other options left?” Rachel was our ever constant voice of reason, trying to find the best option for everyone. She did not necessarily believe in win-win, but she did believe in compromise.

“Are you kidding?” James was on his feet again. “The last time we were here, you talked us out of termination. That was three months ago. Again, if things were getting better, I could understand. But nothing has changed!”

Everyone in the room started to squirm. It was not a decision they wanted to be part of, but as members of the council, they, and only they, could terminate the contract of a member of the company.

The president rose to stand at the head of the room. “Remind me of the charges.”

Jeremy, the justice minister, rose as well. “Dereliction of duties. Harassing other members of the company. Language infractions. Theft. Intimidation. All with multiple infractions. Some going back twenty years. Most of them, however, within the last two.”

“And how many times have we meet to discuss his case?”

“Dozens, sir.”

“And have we explored all other options available?”

Silence fell over the room. Papers started to shuffle.

“This is ridiculous.” It was the calmest voice he had used all day.

“James?”

“Yes, president?” Despite his anger, not even James would risk an outburst directed at the president.

“You have something else to add?”

“Sir, we have given him multiple second chances, overlooked more infractions than we can count. The question is not what options we have or have not explored. The question is how many times we have used each option.”

“But James!” It was Pat again. “Termination is so permanent!”

Yes, but so are the scars he has left upon our community.”

“Scars will heal.”

“Not all of them. There are those within our ranks that are seeking to leave the protection and security of the company due to the scars that he has left.”

“What can not be healed?”

I stared Pat in the face, and noticed the pain our conversation was causing her. “Pat, he has scorched my fields a number of times. How am I supposed to support my house if I can not harvest my crops, can not bring the fruits of my labors to market? If it were just me, I would find a way, but I have a partner and dependents to feed and house as well.”

“And you know it was him?”

“Multiple witnesses, myself included. And you know how I feel about the value of people within the company. Each of us has something to bring, but when one of us is causing more harm than they are contributing, how far can we let it go?”

“But if we could make him see…”

“See what? The value of others, or what we might contribute. No I don’t think that will work. He sees life only for himself, and only at his benefit. Anything we do or say to challenge the way he sees the world will be dismissed out of hand. He has already proven that he does not believe in the way we structure the company.”

“But he has children. And he has lost his partner. Who will take care of them? They will no longer have his services to live by!”

“A way will be found. And I assure you, those children will be treated fairly, more than fairly, by whomever takes over their care.”

“And who will take over his position with the company?” Pat was on the verge of tears at this point.

“We have some talented people among our ranks. I will admit, we will lose a very smart member of our company, one with high potential. But what good is potential if it goes unused. Or worse, denied to those who could most benefit from it?”

“But there are gaps that he can fill. Gaps that can be taken care of by no other!”

“No one is that important.”

Pat’s nostrils flared, her face darkened to the color of stewed beets. “You may not think so, but I assure you, for some of us, everyone is that important!” She beat her fists against the table, and broke down crying. It was a violent, passionate display, even for Pat.

All at once, councilors who normally remained silent started to chime in, seemingly on both sides.

“Silence!” The president looked over the council, trying to gage the positions of those assembled. “Eight of ten. Pass the pouch.”

Rachel withdrew the black velvet bag from the oaken box before her. She placed a marble in the bag, and passed it on. Each of the councilors took two marbles out of their pocket, placing one in the pouch, and returning the other.

The pouch reached the president. “Has everyone cast?”

Around the table each councilor nodded in the affirmative.

The president removed the oaken bowl from beneath his chair. The bag was overturned. Two white marbles and eight black fell into the bowl.

“Quorum has been met. Termination will happen at dawn. No one speaks of what has happened here.”

~ ~ ~


The councilors filed out of the chamber, leaving Rachel and I to reset the room for our next meeting.

“You know, they were to be paired.”

“Who?”

“Pat and…”

I had heard rumors that Pat had found someone new, but the choice had set me back a bit. “How did…?”

“It is funny, the most evil in this world always have some good in them, no matter how hidden it might be. He was there for her, and protected her, from something more evil than he in her world.”

I paused for a moment. “Are you sure?”

“I was the only other one who knew.”

“That explains her defense of him. I wish I had known. Were you the…”

“Don’t ask. You know the rules, and even though we are partnered, it is still against the law.”

I wrapped my arms around her, and kissed the top of her head. “We must do something for her, to let her know she is not alone.”

~ ~ ~


At dawn a single body hung from the ancient oak tree in the middle of Founder’s square. There was but one mourner.

Only the tree, planted upon the founding of the company, could remember how many had found themselves among her branches.

Quorum had been met.
© Copyright 2018 Turtle ~ KanyáthƐko:wa:h (marnts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155351-Quorum