*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154545-Lost-at-Sea
by K. Ray
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2154545
A man wakes to find his ship without a crew and an unfamiliar shore approaching.
Lost at Sea – 4/5/18 – 299 words, not including title.

Waves hammered the boat, splashing over the edge, and I awoke. I stood, carefully. The rocking swayed the boat mercilessly and though my legs were accustomed to the water-voyage, my balance was affected by the fog that clouded my mind.

I stepped out of the cabin and looked around the ship: my Captain and fellow crewmen were not aboard. The storm was not as terrible as some I’d faced. The boat was not in peril of being overturned. Were the others tossed overboard in a fit of weather that had passed while I slept? What could have taken them all?

I cast my eyes out to the horizon: the land ahead was unfamiliar, and there was no other land in sight. Where was I? How did I get here?

Last, I looked up at the stars. There was a familiarity to these stars that brought some comfort. I rushed to the navigation table and laid out a map and a star-chart. After some calculation and much frustration, I decided I was not the Navigator for good reason. I took hold of the wheel and headed landward. Wherever I was, I couldn’t remain at sea.

A sandy beach lit by a small burning fire came into view as the ship approached the strange shore. As the water shallowed, the ship loudly scraped the seafloor. Three figures flickered in the light, casting long shadows. They were engrossed in some elaborate tale, I imagined, since they noticed my arrival only at the sound of it. They stood and ran towards me. I fingered the gun at my hip, prepared to meet them.

“Hanz, my friend! You made it! Welcome to paradise!” The Captain greeted me first; the crew followed. I relaxed. I was looking forward to finding out how we’d gotten here.
© Copyright 2018 K. Ray (writerk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154545-Lost-at-Sea