*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2153033-The-Warning
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2153033
Danny finds scrambled letters and wants to know what it says. He should have stayed home.
The Warning


Ian could hear young Danny's footsteps crunching the foliage behind him. In the moonlit darkness, he'd barely see him if he turned around, but what lay in front of him was more important. Although Ian was skeptical, he trusted Danny had seen something, but from the description, it couldn't be true. Right now, he wish he'd brought his flashlight. It got dark much too soon. Danny tapped him on the shoulder and Ian stopped. Standing side by side, Danny pointed. Together they crept to the moonlit outline of a large boulder.

"That's it," Danny said.

Ian moved closer and saw Danny was right. It was a series of letters glowing from the moonlight that didn't make any sense. Who would do this and why? That was the same question Danny had when he asked Ian to join him in the forest.

"How did you find this in the first place?"

"Well...umm...I....I," Danny stuttered.

Ian knew he'd never get a truthful answer, so he focused on letters. It had to mean something. Ian was good at puzzle and riddles...very good. The moonlit letters began glowing with varied intensity, brightening and dimming before his eyes.

"Danny, have you seen this happen before?"

"No. What's going on?"

"I don't know. Wait. I...I...I think it's spelling something. If I follow the letters that brighten."

"But, how..."

"Be quiet. Let me concentrate. A...V...E...N...O...W...L...E...A...V. Got it! LEAVE NOW, but what does it mean?"

"Let's go. I'm scared."

"Okay. Let's see if we can find out way out."

They both turned and began walking, holding hands. Danny heard leaves rustling and stopped. Ian looked at him. Danny screamed and Ian turned to see what he saw. Out of the bushes jumped a werewolf that proceeded to rip them apart.

© Copyright 2018 Pernell Rogers (arogers270 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2153033-The-Warning