*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2153005-Red-Eye
by Dymoni
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2153005
The story is about a special investigator who awakens to a red eye with mysterious powers.
Chapter 1: The eye awakens.

On a bright sunny day, a teenage boy is spending his weekend relaxing under the sunlight of this beautiful Sunday. There are many people around some walking their dogs across the green gardens of grass or children swinging on the park swing joyously or others just simply walking through but this boy is simply sitting down enjoying the view of everyone else around him.

He is relaxing as much as possible before going back home and cramming as much information as he can into his brain before his last exam tomorrow. This exam will be the last one before he graduates from his high school, he wanted to take a moment to enjoy his life as a student before he went to finish it studying diligently until his exam and then his school life would be over. The boy has long been dreaming to become a special investigator and work with the police, so he will immediately be joining a police training academy upon receiving his results but he needs almost perfect grades to be qualified to enter the police training academy which he plans to join. The police academy he plans to join specializes in training special investigators who work side by side with the police force and he wants to join that very same course. 
Ever since he was a child, Yori had poor vision, his eyesight was always blurry but doctors could never find anything wrong with it, he was given glasses of many different types and strengths but none of them ever even slightly corrected his vision so he came to terms with it at a young age that his vision would be that way forever.
Even if Yori's vision was blurry, his inner vision was very clear. He could see exactly what he wanted to become for a long time. Yori went back home after spending a relaxing hour at the local park, and studied all night for his exam. He didn't sleep but he kept himself awake with coffee and dedication. 
The following day was his exam day, he walked in very prepared and completed his two hour paper a whole hour early. He was the first one to leave the exam hall leaving the exam supervisors surprised and thinking that he either was a genius or the very opposite of that.
After completing his exam Yori went back home and started his application process to the academy although he did not have his exam results yet. He wanted to be as prepared as possible and being the first one to enroll in the incoming intake in a month from now. 
The most exciting aspect of the academy which Yori wanted to enroll into was that the classes were less focused on theory work but rather on practical experience in the field and actually working with professional investigators on crime scenes.
Yori waited patiently for his results to arrive by email, the first action he would perform every morning was immediately checking his email to check if the results were released. The high school had already previously stated that the results would be released in a week but Yori just wanted to check anyways in the unlikely event that they were released early. 
Exactly one week after the last exam, the results were published online for students to check before then being able to go receive their certificates in person a week later. For Yori this was a very important day, his results here would decide whether he could join the Eden Academy for Special Investigators or not. He jumped out of bed as soon as he woke up to check his email because he knew today was the day the results were supposed to be released, but upon opening his mailbox he could see the email with his results sitting at the top of his mailbox but he was suddenly hesitant to open it right away. The fear of not getting the marks he was aiming for worried him, he had not even thought that he might not have gotten enough marks until this moment, but he knew that he had to check the email right now so that he could begin his application process to the academy.
He finally opens the mail and scrolls down slowly to see his results and he lets out a sigh of relief when he finds out he even got better marks than what he was aiming for. He rushed out of his room to share the results with his mother and father who were just getting ready to go to work. They were very proud of him but they were also concerned about him because they knew that the results he got were near perfect so if he applied to almost any other university anywhere around the world, they would most likely accept him, with a scholarship even. However Yori's mind was already made up, he only wanted to join the special investigators' academy. After eating breakfast with his parents and waving them goodbye as they left for work, Yori rushed to his room to start applying, after all there were only 3 weeks left until the next student intake. He had all the documents ready he only had to insert his results and press send. 
He sent the application, and he realized all he could do now was wait for a reply. Yori leaned back in his chair and started closing his eyes to concentrate his thoughts, when suddenly his mailbox made a noise alerting him he received a mail, he quickly leaned forward to see what it was, and the email was from the Eden Academy for Special Investigators. He hastily opened it, to the disappointment that was just an automated email thanking him for applying to the academy and informing him that it would take around one to two weeks to process his application.
Yori decided to spend the rest of the time until he gets a reply by simply researching as much as he could on the special investigator course at the academy. He also received an invitation via text message from his friends Derrick and Matthew to come to the party that they have organized for all the students that just finished their exam to celebrate the results.
Yori accepted the invitation reluctantly which was for the next day at night. Yori did not spend a lot of time partying during his high school years because he had to study hard to be able to get the marks he needed to achieve his dreams, so he was not too experienced with it. He used up his whole day just to get ready for the party by choosing clothes and even going out to buy some new clothes because he was afraid some of his clothes were not in fashion anymore. At six in the evening Yori leaves his house while waving goodbye to his parents to walk about fifteen minutes to reach Derrick's house where the party was being held.
Yori wanted to make himself believe that going to the party was a good idea because it would finally take his mind off the academy and focus more on living his own life at least before he would start his semester at the academy. He reaches the party and his friends welcome him inside and offer him a drink, Yori did not see any reason to decline so he drank a glass of beer with his friends who were all drinking as well and talking about their high school years with smiles on their faces. Yori was not very fond of alcohol but he did not mind drinking once in a while, and of course he knew his limits very well and would never exceed three glasses of anything.
The party was reaching its end very peacefully with the whole class sitting together after drinking and talking about all their memories together and how they were going to miss each other. Before leaving, everyone was discussing where they were planning to go from here and everyone seemed uncertain except for Yori. He was the only one who could confidently say exactly where he was planning to go from now onward. As Yori was walking out of the house, his friend Derrick called out to him in a hurry, Yori turned around and Derrick told him that he had a present to give Yori and he handed him a kit for contact lenses. Derrick chuckled as he said he knew contact lenses would probably not help Yori's vision but at least it's a gift he knew Yori could use.
Yori walked back home at a late hour of the night and reached his house safely before crashing into his bed exhausted. He spent the next few days reading about various articles relating to special investigators online and also talking with his parents about the academy. His parents were nowhere near as excited as him because they thought he was missing the opportunity to use his amazing marks to get into a better university which could get him a better job. They were worried about him but none the less they supported his decision and agreed to pay his fees while believing in his dream.
It had already reached the one week mark, but still no reply from the academy. Yori started to get a little worried that his application might have been rejected but he kept hope and continued waiting. Each day without any reply through this week caused Yori's impatience to keep increasing. On the Friday a week later, Yori finally receives a reply from the academy congratulating him on being accepted into the academy. The email contained a lot of information about when he was expected to be coming to the academy and they were expecting him to start in the next intake which was a week from now. In the email there was login information for the student portal of the academy and the email mentioned he was expected to complete about 50 hours worth of theory studying alone before coming to the first day of class as the entrance test would test them on that knowledge. All of the theory which he had to study was available on the student portal but Yori was worried about completing everything in just a week's time.
The week passed by in a such a hurry that Yori almost forgot the Sunday was his eighteenth birthday. He did not organize any big party or celebration, he only planned to cut a birthday cake and eat dinner with his parents. After the dinner, Yori did not waste any time before going to sleep, because he had to wake up early the next day as it would be the Monday that he had to conduct his entrance test at the academy and his dream would finally be beginning. Of course upon lying down on his bed, he could not easily find much sleep because of how excited he was for tomorrow, however he was also worried that he did not study enough although he completed the whole theory course online. After a few hours Yori finally found sleep and rested for the rest of the night knowing his alarm was already set to wake him up very early in the morning.
The next morning Yori woke up to the sound of his alarm straight away and as he was getting out of bed he suddenly noticed something very strange but he wasn't quite sure what it was. To his surprise, he realized it was his eyes, he could suddenly see very clearly and it was not blurry at all anymore. He thought this must be some kind of miracle, he continued to get ready to go to the academy. As he reached the mirror to wash his face, he was shocked to notice that the iris of his right eye was red. He did not understand what was happening and in a panic he thought it must be some critical disease. Yori was very worried that if the academy found out about this very visible disease he might have, that they would tell him to leave,  he suddenly remembered that Derrick had given him a pair of contact lenses at the party he went to, so he decided to use one of them to hide his red eye. He did not tell anyone about it not even his parents, as he wanted to research a little about it himself first through the internet but the busy morning did not leave him any time to do such a thing as he had to hurry to leave for the academy. 
While Yori was eating breakfast at the table, he suddenly had a vision of the breakfast he had yesterday appearing before him then disappearing again. He assumed he must be tired from all that studying that he was imagining things, so he took his bag after eating his breakfast and left for the academy.
Chapter 2: The Academy.


Yori took the bus from the stop near his house towards the academy and he left his house earlier than necessary so that he could get to the academy on time no matter what happened. While sitting on the bus every stop brought him closer to his first day, and he couldn't help but get more excited the closer he gets to the academy.
As he reached the stop next to the academy he admired the building from the bus window, the large modern looking building took his breath away. The large garden in front of the building and the wall surrounding the land all looked very prestigious. He had seen the pictures online before but seeing it in a person was much more amazing for him. He hopped off the bus with his bag on his back and walked towards the academy gate, at the gate was a large sign overhead with the name "Eden Academy for Special Investigators" written in a large cursive font. As Yori took his first step into the academy, he felt relieved and excited that he was finally about to start his dream but then quickly remembered he still had to take the entrance test before beginning. 
As he walked through the academy yard, there were many signs that had "New students this way" written on them and they had a small arrow pointing in a direction. Yori followed the signs until he reached a hall where many people were gathering in front of a stage, he joined the crowd which had roughly 200 people in it and stared up at the stage like everyone else in silence.
Everyone was wearing casual clothes including Yori, and the people that were starting to make their way to the stage were all wearing suits. Yori recognized one of the people walking up to the stage as the chairman of the academy, he had seen his picture before online. One tap on the microphone from the chairman left the entire crowd in silence and their sights focused on him.
The chairman began to speak in a serious tone "Welcome everyone gathered here, I am Chairman Mark, and I will be explaining the entrance test to you today. I know all of you here worked very hard to get here so I expect none of you to underestimate each other but this test today will prove whether you have what it takes to be a special investigator or not. I believe all of you must have gone through all the courses that were available online as from the moment you were emailed an offer to join the academy.
 The test today is very simple but will take the whole day as we have many here today. You will have three tests today in three different environments, one by one you will take part in these tests. They will test your ability to follow the rules that all special investigators need to follow on the job as well as your judgement. 
Each of the tests will be similar, you will walk into a room where a murder was supposed to have taken place, there will be one teacher acting as the police officer on the scene who you can get some information from, you must follow the rules while gathering enough evidence to at least be able to tell us correctly how the murder had taken place. Everything has already been setup a whole day in advance so you won't need any special equipment except yourself today.
 For the first room, it is quite simple and you will notice that it is blatantly obvious how the murder had taken place, you do not need to be skeptical about the first room, we will only be testing your ability to follow the rules and request information from the police officer on duty. Anyone who fails this room will not be accepted into the academy in this intake, those who do pass it have already secured a place into the academy and may now continue on the other rooms.
 In the second room, your judgement abilities will start to be tested where the murder weapon will not be so obvious and it may or may not be present in the room but you must use all available resources to understand how the murder took place. Anyone who fails this room, will end up in the C Class, and all who pass will be allocated to the B Class. 
The third room is trickiest room of them all, as we have setup fake clues, which serial killers may do as well, to throw you off track and getting the answer wrong will cause you to fail the room. Anyone who fails this room, will stay in the B Class, and those with impressive investigating skills will be allocated to the prestigious A Class. In all of the rooms, you will have only one guess at the correct answer, and only ten minutes inside each room.
Now I have talked about how to get into each class and it's time to explain the difference between each class. The members of the A Class will begin investigator on real murder scenes with professional investigators as from the first day of class, which is tomorrow. The members of the B Class will start off with one month of theory work and fine tuning their judgement abilities before being allowed on the field, And the members of the C Class will not be allowed on the field until three months of theory work has passed.
Now that all his been explained you will shortly receive by email the times you will be expected at your first room, and a campus map indicating clearly where each room is located. After completing the first room the assessor there will tell you at what time you are expected at the next room. During your waiting time you may study or rest in the cafeteria area indicated on the map or in the academy yard.
I wish you all the best of luck and I hope we get more than 3 students starting in the A class this intake unlike the last one. If you do not succeed to get accepted this intake, the next intake will be in six months so do not give up too fast. That's all from me, I will see all of you around the academy during the day."
As soon as the chairman stopped speaking everyone's phones started beeping alerting them of a new email including Yori's. It was only 8:45 am and Yori's allocated time was 10:30 am, he had a long time to wait so he studied the campus map and then decided to go revise his notes beforehand to make sure he is able to follow all the rules during the test. He walked towards the academy yard to find a table to study at when suddenly another man from the crowd approached him, he spoke to Yori in a friendly tone "This must be your first time attempting this test, you look very young." Yori nodded and the man continued "My name is Tony, This is my fifth attempt at this test and I have seen many others here at the previous attempt. The tests are very difficult but I wish you luck in them, you will need it." Yori replied nervously "Thank you for the advice, my name is Yori and I will try my best to pass because it's my dream to graduate from this academy and become a special investigator." Tony looked at him in a confused manner for a second and then chuckled as he walked away waving goodbye without turning back to face him.
Yori found a free table to in the academy yard, and took out his notes to start studying them again to make sure he doesn't miss anything. The time passed by very quickly when suddenly Yori noticed it was already 10:15 am, he decided to start heading to the test room, and every step he took bringing him closer to the room made him more nervous especially because of what Tony had just told him previously, he was beginning to feel afraid of not passing the test.
As he reached the room by about 10:20 am, there was a teacher waiting outside the room and told him to wait for a few minutes as there is still a student inside attempting the test. Yori had a seat on the bench outside the room and waited for his turn. Yori felt nervous but he tried to calm himself down by thinking positively.
Soon it was already his turn and the other student who had just attempted the test walked out with a proud look on his face and seemed to walk towards the second room. Yori was slightly relieved to see the other student as it made him feel like he could pass this room. The teacher asked Yori to go inside, and informed him the moment he walks through the door, his test will begin. Yori walked in trying to hide his nervousness under a layer of confidence. 
As soon as he walked in there was a man dressed as a police officer staring at him and the murder scene laid before him. Upon a quick inspection of the crime scene it was very obvious how the murder took place, there was a blood stained knife on the floor next to the white-chalked drawing of the body and next to the the drawing's neck was a large blood stain. It was obvious that murderer cut the victims neck with a knife and dropped the knife on the floor and fled the scene. The real aspect that the assessors were probably testing was the ability to follow the rules so after having a quick look at the scene, Yori approached the 'officer on duty' and asked him to give him a rundown of the information the police have so far according to standard procedure. Yori inspected the knife without touching as per the rules and inspected the blood stains and the drawing of the body without any contact as per the rules and after a few minutes, he walked to the officer again and delivered his verdict confidently "Officer, I believe this victim was murdered by a killer armed with a knife, the killing blow was a strike to neck with a knife cutting the victim's throat and then the victim bled to death as the killer escaped the scene." The assessor nodded and said "Congratulations you have passed. You are expected at the second room at 11:00 am, you may look at your campus map for the location, good luck."
Yori knew that after passing this, he was officially a member of his dream academy and tried to hide his excitement but the large smile on his face while walking out of the room was extremely visible. He noticed it was already 10:40 am so he decided to wait in front of the second room instead of going back to the academy yard, he looked at his campus map and headed to the room and had a seat on the bench near it, without the teacher having to tell him to wait.
After patiently and confidently waiting for his turn, the time came for the previous student to leave the room, as he walked out Yori noticed it was the same student he saw at the previous room, but this time instead of a proud face, he looked sad and almost in tears, Yori did not have to be a detective to know what happened in that room. Knowing it was almost his turn, Yori started feeling nervous again but tried to calm himself down by thinking about the fact that he already passed the first test so he will definitely be accepted into the academy no matter what.
Following the same procedure he walked into the room and had a quick glance at the scene but could not see anything very obvious that could prove how the victim how was murdered. He approached the officer on duty to ask for information and all the officer had to say was " We could not identify the murder weapon but the autopsy shows that the victim was poisoned somehow as cause of death." Yori looked around the room, and all he saw was a normal study room and the white-chalked drawing of a dead body lying next to the chair of the desk, as though the body had just fallen off the chair. It was clear that this was some kind of poisoning but Yori knew that his verdict had to be more accurate than that to be able to pass. He inspected the table as per standard procedure and noticed a glass of water on the table among many spread out documents on the table, upon quickly looking at the documents it seemed that they were showing a business going bankrupt and quickly falling. By a glance at the half-drunk from glass of water, it would seem the victim may have committed suicide because of his business failure and drank some sort of poisonous pill to kill himself. But by the book, investigators cannot deduce suicide without evidence of the murder weapon used to kill the victim.
Suddenly Yori had one of those weird visions he had again this morning where he saw the chairman placing a box of some pills into the drawer of the desk and he tried focusing in and he saw the date on the chairman's watch as yesterday's date. His eye suddenly started hurting so he closed them and when he opened them again the chairman was not in the room and the desk drawer was closed. Yori was very confused thinking that he might hallucinating during his test, but according to standard procedure an investigator cannot move any objects on a crime scene without the help of a registered police officer, so just basing himself off that vision, he asked the officer on duty to open the desk drawer for him and to his surprise, the exact same box of pills from his vision was placed in the exact same place he saw it previously. The pills were clearly marked as poisonous and Yori gave his verdict to the officer that the victim had committed suicide because of his business failure by drinking these pills with the glass of water on the table. The assessor congratulated him and told him he is expected in the next room at 1:30 pm.
Yori walked out of room, without a sign of happiness or pride but only confusion as to what just happened. By the look on his face, the teacher outside assumed he had failed and told him "Don't worry about failing here you will still be in the C Class." And Yori replied to him in a soft voice "I passed it, I'm alright." and he walked towards the bathroom to wash his face after this weird experience.


Chapter 3: Fear.
It was still 10:45am and Yori had already washed his face and he had to wait till 1:30pm for his next room. He was still confused about the vision he saw and was wondering what exactly caused that vision to happen and whether it was just a vision or whether what he saw was actually what happened the previous day. He went to the cafeteria to have his lunch as he had to wait a few hours anyway. As he was walking towards the cafeteria Yori kept thinking about what had just happened to him and he was terrified to find out what the vision really was.

He walked into the cafeteria with a frightened look on his face still lost in thought, the chairman was speaking to the new students at that time and finding out more information about them. The chairman saw Yori walk into the cafeteria and was very intrigued by the look on his face so he approached Yori to speak to him. Yori was still deep in thought when the chairman approached him and said in a confident tone "Hi, you look like you had a rough time in the room test, which room did you fail at?", Yori, suddenly startled, looked at the chairman and took a moment to process what he was just asked and replied "I have just passed my second room" in a very soft tone. At that moment Yori, looked down and noticed the watch he saw in his vision was the same watch the chairman was wearing on his wrist.

Yori's heart started beating faster, and he was almost trembling in fear as he saw the watch and wanted to know for sure if what he saw was real or not, so he asked the chairman "Were you the one that hid the box of pills in the drawer yesterday at about this time?". The chairman looked shocked and replied "Well...yes that was me, did your assessor tell you that?", Yori froze in fear and was confused about why he saw that vision during his test and with a slight tremble in his voice he replied "No, I just guessed it was you". The chairman chuckled and told him "You have great judgement skills, I'll be looking forward to seeing whether you can make it to the A Class, good luck on your next test." Yori faked a smile at him as he walked away.

Yori had finally understood the vision he saw was a glimpse of the past, but he wanted to know why he had that vision now, and he thought that it must have something to do with the red eye he woke up with this morning. While eating, he used the academy's wifi to research about the red eye that he had, but none of the images he saw online looked like what he saw in the mirror in the morning. He tried a more specific search for his eye and he found an old article talking about a guy a very long time ago. The guy apparently had the ability to see into the past, but there was no evidence of that as the article was about someone who lived hundreds of years ago. However the article described that the guy had a red eye just like Yori.

Yori began to think that he might be like that man but it didn't make any sense to him as he had just been a normal person till now, he asked himself why this would happen to him now but he also had no idea where to even begin looking for an answer. While conducting more research on the red eye, Yori did not notice the time fly by, it was already 1:20pm, he glanced at his watch and was shocked to see the time, he hurried to the third room test and made it just in time.

As he reached there he was warmly welcomed by the supervisor at the door, who told him he was the fourth student to make it to this room today and congratulated him for the feat, Yori looked down and lightly smiled knowing that his success in the previous rooms were not earned legitimately and he thanked the supervisor. The supervisor wished him luck as he led him into the room.

When Yori walked into the room, he saw the 'officer in duty' standing next to the outline of a body in white chalk and there was no trace of blood and a clean knife lying next to the victim. It looked like a usual living room, Yori walked towards the officer and asked him what the situation was. The officer replied "The victim is a middle-aged man, the autopsy shows that he died of an internal wound on his skull, but we cannot identify what weapon was used to murder him. We have checked the CCTV camera outside his house but we could not see anyone suspicious entering or leaving this house. The only people that came in and out of here were his maid, plumber, and himself. The last person to leave this house before he was discovered dead was his plumber, but when we questioned him he said he only repaired a broken pipe and he was paid before leaving, and there was nothing wrong with the victim when he left." Yori thanked the officer for his input, then asked him if he would be able to have a look at the CCTV footage, which is standard procedure for special investigators.

The officer agreed and showed him the footage on a tablet device. Upon investigation of the footage, Yori noticed that the plumber came in with a pipe wrench but when he left he did not have the pipe wrench. He knew that just this was not enough evidence to prove the plumber murdered him. At that moment Yori had another vision where he saw the chairman placing a blood covered pipe wrench into a hidden compartment of the wall which only the plumber would have know about as there was a water pipe running in that part of the wall. Yori was initially shocked but he knew exactly what this vision meant, so he pretended like he was looking at the wall before then asking the officer to help him open it, because he did not want the assessors to suspect anything of him. The officer agreed and by pushing on the wall in that area, the wall opened to reveal a hidden compartment, and the blood soaked pipe wrench was lying in there.

Yori was then certain that the plumber was the one that murdered him but that could only be determined after a check on the pipe wrench's fingerprints and blood, when suddenly Yori had another vision seeing the chairman put money on an envelope and writing 'plumber pay' on it before placing it in the drawer of the desk in the living room. He went to check in the drawer with the help of the officer and the very same envelope was lying inside the drawer, Yori pointed this out to the officer and told him he was ready to give his verdict on the murder.

Yori told the officer confidently "The victim was murdered by the plumber as when the plumber entered the house in the footage we can see this same pipe wrench but when he left the house the pipe wrench was no longer with him, he then hid the pipe wrench in the secret wall compartment which he would know about because there is a water pipe in there and while working there he must have noticed that, we also know the plumber was lying when he said he got paid as his pay envelope was probably never given to him as he had already killed the victim before he could pay him." As Yori finished his statement of the verdict the officer on duty smiled at him and told him "Congratulations you have passed the final room, you are the second student to make it into the A class today." Before Yori had time to reply, the chairman walked into the room with a smile on his face and walked towards Yori to congratulate him and explained he was watching the whole investigation through a hidden camera.

The chairman however had a question for him "How did you know there was a secret compartment in the wall?", Yori suddenly felt panic as he did not know what to reply and he did not want to reveal his red eye or visions to the chairman in fear of what the authorities would do to him if they found out about his power. Yori smiled nervously and quickly said "I have a similar compartment in the wall of my house." The chairman smiled and jokingly said "Ah so it was just lucky for you then, well none the less,great job following the rules perfectly, and congratulations on making it to the A Class." The chairman led him out of the room and explained to him he would receive an email with his timetable and other important information he would need to know.

As Yori was leaving the academy he thought about the fact that the assessor told him he was the second to pass this room meaning there was other people who passed that room and he was amazed by their deduction skill in such short time, but unlike them, he had just cheated with some sort of vision powers.

© Copyright 2018 Dymoni (dymoni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2153005-Red-Eye