*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152312-Imprisoned-by-a-dream
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Community · #2152312
An overbearing father's dream complicates love life for Ben.
Ben always enjoyed the dance contests. But this day he was anxious. His classmate Vumi scares the heck out of him. She seems to be watching his every move, always at the right place the perfect time. She is the one who fed his father the grapevine of the happenings of the previous years’ dance contest. He will have a hard time avoiding Lulu as she still savored the sweetness of their first kiss. No doubt she will be a sprite tonight with slaying moves on the dance floor. The memories of the last contest entered and left his mind in quick succession as he got ready to join his cousins who were already waiting outside.

He smelled his armpits. He was already getting sweaty and hazy for pondering about the night ahead. He never wanted to hurt his father’s feelings, but still he had no concrete plan to avoid the happenings of the last dance contest. He loved Lulu but had trouble expressing his feelings. Not because he could not reply to her clandestine letters, but he was just being careful.

His father always reminded him that secrets were hard to keep every time he nudged him about going to college. Toma’s dream for Ben’s college education remained a secret between his wife and Ben. It was important to keep it a secret as the village did not value education so much. If it came into public a lot distractions would emerge especially from his friends who did not see the value of education. There was only one rickety elementary school and a high school in Molowa and they did not yield any real talent. If Ben joined college he would be the first in Molowa.

To Ben, his father’s constant reminders felt like getting sworn to secrecy. That is why he refused to reply to Lulu’s letters despite feeling the same way about her. What if the letters leaked to Vumi? He was sure to guard his court and keep away the letters safely. He wasn’t sure Lulu would do the same with his letters. But Lulu never gave up on writing. Ben’s elder sister Nazi was her best friend and she used her as a conduit to relay the letters. Nazi was very fond of Ben and somehow he had succeeded to fool her that he wasn't interested. Nazi believed him. Of course, he had no reason to doubt him as he never replied to the letters. But Ben knew he was falling for Lulu as he read one letter after another.

Last year’s dance contest was most entertaining. Several groups performed as the everyone cheered. Lulu and four of her friends performed too. They performed fifth among ten groups. The winning group was to be declared Molowa stars. Lulu and her friends looked forward to bask in the glory. When they were called to the floor they gave it their best shot. Their elegant moves and delicate gymnastics left the crowds cheering wildly. Ben did not see the rest of the performers. His eyes were fixed on Lulu and her delicate body. A strange feeling was welling up his chest as he watched in awe. Vumi was shooting glances at him all the while and she noticed his admiration for Lulu.

Lulu was sure the prize was well under her wraps until the seventh group started performing. The crowd went wild at well synchronized theatrical moves the group displayed. She wasn’t so sure anymore and he eyes teared as the crowd cheered the group on. Ben watched her from the other side of the floor and noticed she wasn’t cheering. Then she slowly made her way through the crowd and disappeared behind the trees. Ben was concerned and he quickly followed. He found her sobbing behind a tree.

“Are you okay”, he asked. “I guess I am, really”, as she looked up to him. Her eyes shined under the beautiful moonlight. “Then why are you crying” he asked as he leaned on the tree she was standing.
She fell on his chest and bawled again.
“Why don’t you respond to my letters” she asked. “I am sure that is not what is making you cry.” Trying to change the subject. “Plea--- please Ben, answer me. I can stop sending them if that is what you want.”
At that moment he realised he didn’t want to stop hearing from her. Immediately, the same feeling he felt as she performed washed over his body. For a moment, he didn’t know what to do.
He then held her close to him and kissed her for a long while. “You will not understand”, he whispered. She looked up again.
She felt okay in his arms and seemed to forget why she was there in the first place. “So, do you mind telling me why you were crying?” Asked Ben softly.
“I would really love our group to win the prize. We put up a good show but the seventh group seemed to have perfected their ace. I am not sure.”She replied.
“Don’t worry yourself sick. There is still a chance you could win it and if not today next time.” He said, as he brushed back her curry dark hair from her face. “I got to go now”, he said as he pulled away gently and walked back into the crowd. He wished he could stay back with Lulu. He hated the emotional enclave he was in. Free yet imprisoned.
Lulu followed him moments later. In time to watch the last group perform. She found Ben strange but worth taking any risk for.

Unknown to them, Vumi had stealthily followed Ben and watched everything from a distance.
© Copyright 2018 Beckmug (mugo-rebecca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152312-Imprisoned-by-a-dream