*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150999-The-Promise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Silver
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2150999
Shelly makes a promise to a childhood friend. (298 words) Daily Flash Fiction
Shelly turned to her friend and smiled.

‘How can you smile at a time like this?’ Ann asked, bewildered at Shelly’s calm demeanor.

Shelly leaned closer so the patrons at this restaurant wouldn’t be able to hear. ‘Ann, I know you’re upset but I promise you have nothing to worry about.’

Shelly smiled again when she finished and squeezed Ann’s hand to comfort and strengthen her. Ann looked at her friend doubtfully but took a deep breath and smiled softly.

‘When do you want this to happen?’ Shelly asked quietly.

Ann started to speak then paused ‘Tonight?’ she asked cautiously, wondering if this very night would be too soon.

‘Tonight then’ Shelly agreed without batting an eye. She knew without hesitation that this could be taken care of tonight.

‘But? Tonight? Are you sure?’ Ann became visibly agitated which could be obvious to any onlookers.

‘Yes’ Shelly replied, then changed the subject once their dessert arrived. They ate their pecan pie and conversed amicably about the weather, childhood friends and other trivial matters. Ann calmed herself, trusting her friend that all would be better very soon.

Several days later a small article in the newspaper revealed that Ann’s husband had been reported missing after a late night of drinking at the Brick & Bones Bar.
‘and he won’t be found’ Shelly mused to herself while turning off her reading lamp.

She knew that whatever was left of him had been incinerated in the Brick and Sons Crematorium she helped setup years ago, along with the Bar, for just this purpose.

So many worked for her who didn’t even know her name. Nothing could be traced back to her, ever!

‘And this was all worth it to rid the world of violent monsters. Ann will be safe now’ .
© Copyright 2018 Silver (tdewitt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150999-The-Promise