*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149900-Summer-Breeze
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #2149900
An idyllic Summer's afternoon at the lake? From a Twisted Tale Under 300 Words portfolio.
Looking out from the deck of their summer cabin, Jo squinted as diamonds of light danced brilliantly on the breeze-blown lake. Her husband Dave was a silhouette out on the water, contentedly flicking his fishing line out as his boat slowly drifted with the soft wind. He had promised to bring back dinner.

Pine boughs gave out a faint cracking noise now and then, and leaves softly rustled through the wooded area around the cabin. The chirruping noise of cicadas somehow made the day seem hotter and stiller than it really was.

Jo gave a happy sigh as she settled back down into her deck chair. This was, in essence, a second honeymoon for them. Devastated, after discovering that Dave had done the stupidly obvious with his secretary, Jo had insisted on couples therapy (complete with screaming accusations and hysterical tears) and this trip to get away from it all. A fresh start was desperately needed.

Glancing at her watch, a soft smile played across Jo's lips. It would soon be that time of the afternoon. As she adjusted the top of her bikini she knew she would never have to worry about him straying again. Bill (if that was his name) would take care of that. After all, didn't people often have boat "accidents" on deep lakes?

She looked out at the lake again. Dave was nowhere to be seen. The sun seemed to have passed behind a cloud and she shivered.

Good.

It was done.

From the other end of the lake, Dave smiled, pleased with his catch of fish. By the time he got home to cook dinner, talk about his relaxing afternoon and have a couple of beers out on the deck with his old friend Bill, he would once again be a free man.

© Copyright 2018 J Sheehy (jsheehy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149900-Summer-Breeze