*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149328-Brotherly-Love
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2149328
There's love and then there's competition

Brotherly Love

Jimmy was in his bedroom when he heard Mom yelling at his brother, Kevin, in the living room. He ran downstairs to see what was happening. Kevin was reclining in the easy chair, fast asleep. His eyes snapped opened when Mom shook his shoulder. He smacked his mouth and batted his eyes a couple of times.

"Wake up Kevin," she yelled. "I can't believe you would eat the whole pie, especially after the last time you got in trouble for it."

Jimmy leaned against the wall and looked mournfully at Mom. "Did he eat it all again, Mom?"

Mom glanced back at Jimmy and shook her head. "I'm sorry Jimmy. It's all gone." She glared down at Kevin. "What have you got to say for yourself?"

"I didn't do nothin', Mom. I was asleep."

She reached down, pinched crumbs from his shirt and sprinkled them back down. "I know you did it. You even have cherry pie filling staining your shirt."

Kevin sat forward, rubbed his eyes and looked at the crumbs as they spilled into his lap. He dabbed his finger at the red goo on his shirt, tasted it and narrowed his eyes at Jimmy. "I didn't eat it Mom. Jimmy set me up."

Jimmy's mouth dropped open. "What?"

Mom looked at him and returned her glare at Kevin. "Don't worry Jimmy. I ain't fallin' for that. You're on dishes tonight and the rest of the week, Kevin."

"But it's Jimmy's turn."

Mom shook her head at him. "And next time I bake a pie, you ain't getting' none."

Kevin lay back in the chair and glared at Jimmy. Jimmy's shoulder's sagged and he returned to his room. Once inside he leaned against door, barked a laugh and picked up the remaining slice of cherry pie.

© Copyright 2018 Myles Abroad (mylesabroad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149328-Brotherly-Love