*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2147980-Bad-Girl-House-Chapter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Biographical · #2147980
I am writing a book about my experiences surviving domestic violence.
Returning to school in January of 1996, for my second semester of college, I was hoping to find my friend Connie again during the day. We eventually did find each other, and it made me feel better to actually have people to sit with during my breaks. Soon after the semester began, a few people from her public speaking class came with her to the student union. One was a short, round fellow, who I think was close to our own age. The other was a short, fit, balding guy of twenty six, that I will call John. Remember that I was still several months away from turning nineteen at this time. At first meeting, John seemed confident and charismatic, but at the same time no nonsense. Like I normally did, I just sat and listened to the people around me talk to each other. John complained about being penalized for missing classes when he had other responsibilities. He called them adult responsibilities. He talked about having commitments for his job and with his young son. From early on, these things illustrated his disrespect for any type of authority. He felt that he shouldn’t have to answer to his professors, and that he should be able to attend class when it was most convenient for him. It didn’t matter to him that he was required to attend his classes, and that not being there would impact his grade. I would imagine that he had extremely rude interactions with his teachers because of this. John also had plenty of nasty things to say about his ex-wife whenever he discussed his son. From the very first thing I ever heard him say about her, everything in their past was her fault. She was the reason that they were divorced. She was the reason that he didn’t see his son as often as he thought he should. She was the reason he had to pay child support that she wasn’t using the way he thought that she should.
Once while John was talking, he said something that I must have thought was funny. I was sitting beside him, so I lightly hit him on the arm, as I was laughing at what he had said. His reaction to my doing that was not at all what I was expecting. His face quickly changed from one of entertaining a table of people with a story, to a serious glare towards me. A glare that I would come know very well.
“Don’t ever hit me! My ex-wife used to hit me!” When I heard this, I really had no choice but to believe what he told me. I wasn’t sure how to react, so I quickly apologized and shrunk back into my seat. Yes, she may have hit him, but knowing what I know now, it would have been in self defense. This was an early display of John’s irrational reactions to something completely harmless. Something that was totally non-violent on my part, was turned into him telling me how he expected to be treated. Telling me how he wanted me to behave around him. Creating an immediate question in my mind. What would happen if I did anything like that again? So many huge red flags, banners even, were flying around this man. Unfortunately, I was still a naive, neglected young woman, craving any type of attention.
As the semester went on, John continued to eat lunch with my group of friends. I supposed he saw his talking to me as a form of flirting. Many times he would ask me why I always hid behind my hair. I didn’t think that I actually was. My hair was long and it would fall in my face. but he mentioned it so many times that I started to wonder if I was doing what he said I was doing. He seemed to want to know about my music classes. In an attempt to relate, he told me that he had just gone to see a Bob Seeger concert. I tried to act impressed. I’m not sure if I actually considered him someone I wanted to date, but he was paying quite a bit of attention to me everyday.


The Boot Scoot Saloon was a popular country line dancing bar back when I was in high school and college. My friends asked me if I wanted to go to dinner and then the bar that weekend. Since I wasn’t usually invited to go do things like that, I was excited to say yes. It just so happened that when we all arrived at the restaurant, I saw John getting out of his car. I guess he thought he would tag along with a group of woman who were considerably younger than him. There was plenty of talking and laughing at dinner. Mostly about our classes and professors. He actually seemed charming and fun to be around. I was forgetting about the red flags I had seen only weeks earlier. I rode with my friends to the bar, and he followed us in his car. The bar was already full of people having a good time and singing along to the blaring music. We were all a bit tentative about going out on the dance floor right away, but we made our way out there anyway. I knew just a few steps, and felt so self-conscience that my feet seemed to be dancing on their own. After making big enough fools out of ourselves, surrounded by people who did know what they were doing, we found a table so we could just be spectators instead. John began focusing on me much more than the other girls, especially when everyone else headed back out to dance again. We did decide to give dancing one more shot, but only for one song. After running into each other through the entire song, we laughed our way back to the table. We continued to talk as well as we could over the blasting country music. When we were all ready to leave, we had to walk in a single file line to snake our way through the crowd. As I walked, someone was playfully but persistently poking at my shoulder. Seeing John as I turned my head, I laughed and shoed his hand away. He was apparently trying to get or keep my attention focused on him. When we finally got out of the building, he asked if he could drive me home. I shyly giggled and politely declined, as I walked to my friend’s car to go home. She was surprised that I was leaving with them, and asked me why John wasn’t the one taking me home. That’s when I realized the this whole evening had been planned so he could get to know me. Maybe he had simply overheard what we were doing over the weekend and asked to go. Maybe he told them flat out that he was coming and why. Maybe he asked them to plan something for him. However it happened, my friends already knew that he was interested in me. I felt flattered at the thought of what had happened, but also felt nervous and unsure.
After a few more weeks of talking over nachos at the student union, John asked me out on an actual date. The date started out the way most dates do. We went out for a nice dinner. I sat there absolutely petrified, saying very little. I remember the atmosphere of the restaurant much more than I do the conversation. My nerves made me overly observant of my surroundings. We were in a booth against a wall, in a rather dark corner of the restaurant. It was a very tall booth, covered in burgundy leather. When I’m nervous I tend to feel cold, so the temperature of the leather was not helping me warm up. The height of the booth seemed to close us off from the people at the tables around us. Since he was much more comfortable talking, I was happy to sit and listen. I was too busy worrying about saying the wrong thing, or spilling my food in my lap. I’m the kind of person that thinks about how difficult a meal could be to eat in front of someone you’re trying to impress. He went on about his job, working as a customer service rep for a bank. He talked about how he enjoyed being able to dress up for the job. Walking around his office space while he talked to people, was another big positive for him. He could talk to, and help different people all day long. I’m sure that he also talked about his father’s woodworking company, that he often helped with as well. He may have opened up about the strained relationship that he had with both of his parents, as he talked about his mother also being at the job sites with them. My shyness may have been starting to bother him. He eventually asked me why I was being so quiet. Either he asked, or I started talking about the upcoming concert I was going to with my friends. They were able to get Garth Brooks tickets for one of the four concerts he was putting on in Cleveland. It was going to be the biggest concert I had ever been to, and I was extremely excited. Since he wasn’t a fan of county music, he didn’t want them to get him a ticket even if they could.
It was still early, so after dinner we went back to his apartment to decide what to do next. I sat on the arm of his red and green plaid couch, still feeling extremely nervous. I was alone with him in his apartment, and wasn’t sure exactly what might happen. We quickly decided that we should go to a movie like we had planned. Right before we were about to leave, he walked over to me and started kissing me. It was not the soft, gentle, romantic first kiss that we all imagine we will have with someone we are just getting to know. This was hard, forceful, and overpowering. Not knowing how to react, and not understanding that it wasn’t quite right, I let it continue. If I stopped him, he might not want to see me anymore. I sat there frozen as he stood over me. My neck was bent back so far that it was starting to hurt. I felt like I had to sit there and kiss him back until he stopped. Once he was done, we left for the movie theater. We were going to see a movie that he had been wanting to see for some time. It was the great first date movie, “Hell Raiser”. I was never one to watch horror movies back then. That was probably because my parents didn’t watch them either. Needless to say, it was disturbing to someone who had never been exposed to anything like that before.
Another date soon after, very possibly our second, brought us to my house with movies we had rented. I had a choice between “Pulp Fiction” and “Don Juan de Marco”. Ignorant of what I was actually picking, “Pulp Fiction” was the movie I chose. When we started the movie, my parents were still out. It was a Saturday night, so they were eating at their regular restaurant like every week since I could remember. They would be home very shortly. Just like “Hell Raiser”, this was the kind of movie that I’d never been exposed to. Between the language, violence, and everything else that was going on, I was getting nervous about what my parents were going to walk in on. John was also watching the movie, laying on the couch with his head on my thigh. I wanted to tell him to sit up, instead of acting like he was in his own living room. This was a house he had never been in before, and he had no sense that his posture wasn’t demonstrating any amount of respect. Not to mention that he hadn’t met my parents yet, so this was going to be their first impression of him. I didn’t want it to be a negative one. When I heard the garage door go up, my heart skipped a beat. The door to the house was right behind us, so their was no stopping my mom and dad from hearing or seeing the television screen. I was hoping beyond hope that while they were coming in, there would be nothing R rated going on.
This was obviously not going to be a first meeting of smiles and handshakes. My dad came through he basement door first, and not a word was said by either man. He went up the short flight of stairs to the kitchen, but I’m sure he could hear the television. My mom came in soon after. It didn’t take long for my dad to ask us to turn the movie off. He said that he was finding it very inappropriate. There wasn’t much reaction from beside me, but I started to get up to turn it off. I wasn’t really hearing the movie at this point. I think my nerves were overwhelming why senses. My dad came down the stairs, visibly upset, and demanded that the movie be turned off. It was not something that should be played in his house. There was a rush of movement, as John flew off of the couch.
“What are you going to do about it? You’re not going to tell me what I can and cannot watch!”
“I most certainly can! This is my house!” As my dad yelled this, my mom was hurrying down the stairs.
In an instant, my dad was bent over and in a head lock. My dad was not a young man at this time. He was at least sixty five years old. This is not to say that he was not a physically strong man, who also had a good six inches in height on the twenty six year old who was attacking him. Unfortunately, neither of those things seemed to be helping him. Both my mom and I were screaming for mercy. I was beating on John’s back yelling at him to let go, but he wasn’t listening to me at all. My mom was pulling his arms to try to loosen his grip of my dad’s throat. It seemed like a hopeless battle, as we weren’t strong enough to prevent this from escalating. My dad must have tried to push up with his legs, as they lunged towards a metal bookshelf that covered an entire wall of the room. With a loud, metallic crunch, the top two shelves where they landed collapsed. Books, knick knacks, and picture frames hit the floor. During the entire time, John never lost his grip on my dad’s neck. My dad was beginning to lose strength, as he dropped to his knees.
“Stop! You’re killing him!” My mom yelled these words, as I continued to hit John’s back. He finally let go, and quickly headed toward the door to the garage. I was in total shock, and could hardly process what had just happened in my parents’ house. My mom was know on the floor next to my dad, trying to see if he was alright. John looked at me, and told me to go leave with him. He wasn’t giving me the option of staying home with my family, that he just attacked. I was so confused and overwhelmed, that I wasn’t understanding the weight of this ultimatum. He was trying to rush me to leave with him, possibly before it crossed my parents’ mind to call the police about the assault. With no shoes on my feet, and with no purse on my shoulder, I left my own house with the man that just had my dad in a potentially fatal position. When we got in the car, he immediately made it out to be my dad’s fault. If he wouldn’t have told John to turn the movie off, nothing would have happened. He felt that my dad didn’t have the right to tell him anything anyway. In his mind, it was my dad that had provoked his attack, and it was warranted. John asked me if I wanted to call his mom to talk about what had just happened. I hadn’t met his family yet either, so I declined the offer. What would she have thought if I actual had called her? Who would she have thought was really at fault? I sat in the passenger seat, looking at my socks. What in the hell did I just do? I was in a car with a loose canon, that just rolled around wreaking havoc on my living room. For some reason, I thought that I was going to be in trouble for having left the house. Somehow I was also at fault for what happened. In my own ignorance, all I could think about was possibly not being allowed to go to the Garth Brooks concert. To make matters worse, John didn’t say much to make me feel better about the situation. He continued to present my dad as the problem. I had told him that my dad and I normally didn’t get along very well, and he used that against all of us. He even said that he couldn’t be with someone who didn’t get along with her family. That may be the most ironic thing he ever said to me. It was rather late when we got to his apartment, and I was exhausted after the night’s ordeal. We both laid down on his bed. I couldn’t stop my mind from spinning as I laid there in the dark. I suppose strangely, John didn’t kiss me goodnight, lay against me, or even put his arm around me. He laid there, far enough away to almost forget he was there, though that was impossible. I had definitely never spent the night at a man’s apartments, and certain not under these circumstances. I didn’t feel like I fell asleep at all, but I also didn’t move a muscle. I would end up spend many nights like this, trying to pretend I was invisible. I was worried about my parents. I was worried about their reaction to John. I was worried about their reaction to what I had done.
John had set an alarm to drive me home early the next morning. On the way there, he told me that I needed to talk to my parents about my relationship with them. I was to tell them that he could only be with me if I had a healthy relationship with them. He made no attempt to apologize to me for what he had just put us all through. I didn’t accompany me to my door to apologize to my parents either. I don’t think that he ever said he was sorry for that. He probably also made the excuse that it was too early for him to go in with me. With only my socks on my feet, I slowing made my way up the walk. His car was already gone by the time I reached my front door.
Since I didn’t have my purse with me, I had to right the door bell. I still assumed that I was going to walk right into a grounding. My mom apparently hadn’t slept either. The door opened almost immediately. I had never seen her so emotional. She took me in her arms right away, and her eyes were red from crying.
“I thought you were gone forever. You’re all that I have. I didn’t know whether to call the police. I had no way of getting a hold of you. Why didn’t you call me?” She had only been concerned about my safety from the moment I had left. I could only say how confused I was about everything. Later in the day, I talked to John on the phone. He reminded my to talk to my parents about what he had said. I had purposefully been putting it off. I eventually brought it up to my mom, telling her that I didn’t want to lose John because Dad and I didn’t get along. I was standing up for the man that was totally in the wrong, for no other reason than he was the first person to really show an interest in me. She didn’t say much more than agreeing that Dad and I should work on our problems. My mom has told me that she was afraid to say anything that would push me even more towards John. She was afraid that if she told me know to see him anymore, if she demanded that I not see him, that I was old enough to defy her if I wanted to. She didn’t actually want to loose me by telling me what to do. I so often wonder what would have happened if she would have just talked to me about how she felt about him. If she had opened my eyes to all of the red flags that I wasn’t seeing. I know she saw them. It only took a few months for John to make me think that he was right, to make me think that he cared for me, and to make me do what he wanted me to do. It only took that long for him to feel extremely intimidated by him.
My dad always said that his voice was never the same after John attacked him. He thought that his vocal chords were somehow damaged, because of a new and consistent raspiness that he had after that. I don’t think that the rest of my family, including my step siblings, their spouses, and my grandparents were ever told about his incident. If they had been, I’m sure they would have also given me there opinions on the situation. That would have greatly changed the egg shell covered path that I was about to tread.











© Copyright 2018 Kathryn Sees (kathy0401 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2147980-Bad-Girl-House-Chapter