*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2146136-Trust-Your-Gut
by Kimbug
Rated: E · Fiction · Dark · #2146136
Apologies to Percy and Mary Shelly (1/15/18 Flash Fiction Entry WINNER)
I hated doctor's offices, even though I met Dr. Franklin while participating in clinical studies to earn money. So, here I was in a room with about a dozen other people, waiting. I tugged at my milk maid braid. It felt too tight; I need to loosen it before I get a migraine. Suddenly, the door opened.

"Ms. Spencer, you can come on back."

I followed the nurse into the examination room. "So, is it still raining out there?" she asked.

"Yes, well, at least it was when I got here thirty minutes ago," I replied.

She began to take my vitals: temperature, blood pressure, pulse. All looked to be within normal range. Then, she drew a vial of blood. Her brow furrowed and she took another look at my chart.

"Is something wrong?"

"Dr. Franklin will be in see you shortly." She didn't even look at me, in fact, she sounded choked up. I went over to where she was and looked at my chart. I saw the word compatible written on a Post It note. What the heck does that even mean? Suddenly, it came to me. I grabbed my purse and umbrella and got up to leave; in fact, I ran.

I'm so glad I trusted my gut because a week later, the good Dr. Percy Franklin and his wife nurse Shelly were arrested for illegally harvesting transplantable organs for profit.



1/15/18 Flash Fiction Entry Winner
Prompts: braid, door and word
237 Words
© Copyright 2018 Kimbug (kimbrewer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2146136-Trust-Your-Gut