*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145657-The-Spirit-of-the-Season-Ch-2-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Family · #2145657
One choice can change everything.
Chapter 2: Hometown Girl



Lara yawned and rubbed her eyes, trying to focus on the world around her. Outside the car window, thick fur trees laden with heavy snow lined the road while the gray sky continued to drop tiny snowflakes.

"You have a good nap, Muffin?"

"God, mom..." Lara groaned. "How can you always be so damn chipper?"

"Good vibes and great coffee." Laughed her mother as she raised her travel cup. "You want some?"

"You really are a saint, momma."

Lara gratefully took the travel cup Nora handed her. Taking a long drink, Lara could feel the warmth spread down to her toes. Smiling, Lara wiggled down into her seat, kicking her feet up on the dash.

"This is good coffee."

"You're father will be so happy to hear that. He's been working on this roast for the last year and a half."

Lara almost spit out her mouthful of coffee. "Dad did this?"

Nora turned to look at Lara, her eyes glittering with laughter. "Yes he did. He's been wanting to have his own coffee for quite a while and with Cole and you both out of the house...well, he's had a little free time."

"So Dad has really taken off with the restaurant, I take it?" Lara asked as she sipped on the brew.

"That's an understatement, Muffin." Nora giggled. "He has turned that little dinner into one of the spots in Maine."

Nora put on her blinker and turned off the interstate onto a small blacktop road. Lara sat forward, knowing that just around the next grove of trees, was her hometown. A strange feeling came over Lara as the trees parted and the old town square came into view.

I'm home.

The thought shocked Lara, as for the last three years, she had considered New York City her home. It's was the place where all her dreams would come true, where she lived and worked. It was where all her friends were and where her life now was. But being back in Lakedale stirred something deep down in her core. Memories of all the summers spent swimming with her childhood friends at Mermaid Lake, of her first job as a real writer at the local newspaper, The Lakedale Sound, and of her first love.

Lost in the sea of memories that were sweeping over her, Lara didn't hear her mother talking. She gazed out the car window as pieces of her past lazily drifted by, the strange feeling growing.

"EARTH TO LARA...Come in Lara!"

Snapping back to reality, Lara looked sheepishly at her mother. "Sorry...it's just...nothing's changed."

Nora considered her daughter for a moment, "You say that as if it's a bad thing. Plenty has changed around here, Muffin. You've just been away to long."

"I didn't mean to." Lara sighed. "I just got consumed with my work. Things are different in New York."

"How so?"

"Well," Lara tried to explain. "It's like time moves faster in New York. Everything and everyone has somewhere to be and they needed to be there yesterday. Deadlines are serious. Careers are made or broken on split second decisions."

"That sound absolutely terrible, Muffin." Nora laughed. Lara had forgotten how often her mother laughed. It was the kind of laughter that made complete strangers join in of her fun. until Nora Wyatt had the whole room grabbing their sides with tears in their eyes. It was a far cry from the serious, romantic characters she created for her novels. "Why do you stay there if it's so stressful?"

Lara rolled her eyes, "Because Mom, New York is where every writer dreams of being. It's the center of every news and media outlet. You know what they say, 'If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere', well I want to make it Mom. I want to be Chief Editor."

"So you're planning on staying with the magazine for a while then, I take it?"

"I plan on being the Chief Editor by the time I'm 30. That's the goal." Lara said determinedly.

"Then what?" Nora asked as she guided the car down a long, tree lined driveway.

Lara stared at her mother for a moment, unsure of what to say. She had never thought about what comes after making Editor in Chief. That had been the goal since high school...since she graduated from college, all Lara wanted was to be a real writer. She had put ever once of energy into making that dream come true. When she got the job at ITnow, Lara had known instantly what she wanted. She wanted to be Editor in Chief of the magazine. For the last three years, that was all Lara had worked towards. But she never once thought about what would happen once she got there. It had always seemed so far away, just out of reach for her.

Nora's question went unanswered as she pulled the car up to a two-story house, the front lawn covered in holiday decorations. A cheery snowman waved as two elves tossed presents up into Santa's shield. Twinkling snowflakes hung from the porch while on the front door was the huge wreath they had all made together as a family, the winter before Lara left for college. The sound of Christmas music playing softly inside completed Lara's homecoming.

Standing on the stairs, Lara stared at her childhood home, a sense of longing growing heavy in her gut. Suddenly, the sound of pounding footsteps could be heard and the front door flew open, revealing Lara's little brother Cole. His round eyes lite up when he sees Lara and before she could even open her mouth, Cole was racing down the front steps and wrapping his lanky arms around her in a bear hug.

"Larz Bar!!" Cole cried as he squeezed Lara tight. "I was beginning to think you weren't gonna show!"
Lara held her brother at arms length and gave him the once-over.

"When did you get so tall?" She asked, ruffing his dirty blonde hair. "You look so much like Mimi."

Nora laughed, "I tell him that every day and he hates it."

"MOM..." Cole rolled his eyes as he jumped away from Lara's hand. "Why would I want to look like a 90 year old woman?"

Both Lara and her mother laughed at this, while Cole continued to glare at them. Finally, after a good minute of hardy laughter at her brother's expense, Lara wiped a tear from her eye and grab her brother in another hug.

"I missed you little bro."

Cole wiggled away from her, "Yeah, yeah. I missed you too. Now get off me."

Lara rolled her eyes and playfully punched her brother's arm. "Never!"

"MOM!"

"Oh for heaven's sake, you just got home! Stop tormenting your brother and help me with the bags."

Lara stuck her tongue out at Cole before turning to help her mother unload the car. When Nora shot her a sideways glace, Lara giggled.

"What? It's my job to make sure he never forgets that he's the little brother."

"You're so mean." Nora tried to sound cross but the wide grin on her face wouldn't allow for it. "You know, he's 19 now. On his first year at college."

"Yes, Mom. I know. You only email me every detail of your lives."

"Then maybe you could not treat Cole so...well...so much like a little brother and more just like a brother?"

Lara stopped wrestling with the suitcase she was fighting and turned to face her mother. "What's going on?"

"Nothing's going on!" Nora snapped but her cheeks flushed, giving her away.

"Mom, stop for a second." Lara took her mother's hand. "What's going on with Cole? What happened?"

Nora stood still at first then, with a cautious look over her shoulder, she said. "I think something happened at college. He won't talk about it but something is different about him. He's on edge all the time."

"Do you want me to try talking to him? If anything, I could sit on him until he comes clean."

"Oh stop it!" Laughed her mom, the sound returning the warmth to the air. "Don't pick on him. He's having a hard time already."

Together, they unpacked the rest of the car before heading inside to warm up. The house was warm and inviting, with the smell of fresh baked cookies adding the prefect touch. A fire roared happily in the living room, the large mantel covered in holly and stockings, while in the nouck by the stairs stood the family Christmas tree. It was covered in twinkling lights in every color and with all of her mom's special ornaments which she lovingly collected over the years. From his place in the kicthen, Lara could hear her father, happily singing along with the rendition of 'Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree' played through the house speakers.

"HAROLD!" Nora bewollowed as she attempted to knock the snow from her shoes. "HELP YOUR WIFE!"

Lara couldn't help but giggle at the smirk on her father's face when it appeared around the doorframe. "You didn't say please..." He teased with a wiggle of this eyebrows.

Nora snorted at her husband but couldn't keep the smile from curling her lips. " You're terrible."

"Absolutely horrible, my dear." Harold slided up to Nora, wrapping his arms around her waist. "How do you put up with me?"

Lara loved to see her parents like this, even though it still made her uncomfortable. But it really warmed her heart to know that two people could be so honestly and completely in love with one another. Even after 35 years of marriage that had included a lot of hard work and heartache.

Nora dropped the suitcases she had been carrying and returned her husbands embrace. "You have your charms too, my love."

Before it turned PG-13, the sound of Cole running down the stairs stopped everyone in their tracks. He barreled down the stairs two at a time, his face bright red. As he reached the landing, he grabbed his coat and ran out the front door, not even bothering to close it. All three of them shared a worried look before turning and following Cole out the door.

"Cole!" Lara yelled, buttoning up her coat against the cold wind. "What the heck man?"

Up ahead, Cole walked down their long driveway, his head tucked against the wind, his hands in his pockets. He didn't stop or answer her.

Running to catch up, Lara grabbed her brother by the arm, dragging him to a halt. "What is your problem!"

"Just leave me alone!" Cole yanked his arm free from Lara, glaring at her. "Just go away!"

"Why are you mad at me?" Lara barked, her hands going to her hips. "I just got here. I haven't been here long enough to have pissed you off."

When Cole didn't say anything, Lara felt her anger melt away. "Are you mad at me?" This time her voice was softer, her tone one of concern.

"Why did you stay away so long." The question was spoken in no more than a whisper but Lara felt it deep in her soul. She hadn't even thought about Cole when she left. She had just got into NYU and that was all at mattered. Then she got hired right after graduation and had never looked back. Clearing her throat, Lara stepped up to her brother. "I was just back last May, remember?"

Cole scuff at her, "For a day. You literally left right after graduation was over. You didn't even come to my party."

Lara's heart sunk, "Cole...I'm sorry. I haven't exactly been the best big sister in the world lately."

"No, you haven't. And I hate you for it."

"Ouch," Lara teased him. "It's been years since you said you 'hate me'. I guess I've messed up more than I knew."

Cole looked at her, his eyes glittering with unshed tears. "Yeah, you have."

Lara was in shock. She knew she had kinda pushed her family to the wayside as she went after her promotion but she never would have believed that her little brother would take it so hard. Suddenly, Lara remembered what her mom had said about Cole.

"Is college a little more than you thought it was gonna be?" Lara asked jokingly. "Cause I remember thinking I had landed on a different plant after my first quarter. I thought I was gonna explode!"

"I hate NYU. I don't want to go anymore." Cole's words were flat and emotionless.

"What!?" Lara snapped, a little harder than she meant to. "Why would you say that?"

"Because I do." Cole stated, staring at the hole he was digging with his boot.

Lara considered her brother for a moment, "It is school that's the problem or is it just this school?"

Cole didn't look up. Finally, after a while he said. "I hate New York. I feel small and worthless just walking down the street. All the kids in my classes are a hundred times more sophisticated than me. I don't stand a chance at anything...or anyone."

Lara felt a knot in her chest starting to form. She took Cole's shoulders and turned him to face her. "Cole...Cole look at me. I understand, okay? I know what you're feeling."

"How could you?" Cole wasn't able to hold back his tears any longer. "I'm so alone! I have no friends and it's not like I can call you to drive up and hang out with me."

"And why the Hell not?" Lara said sternly. "Are you to good to hang out with your big sis?"

Cole laughed but his eyes still held hurt in them. "That's not what I mean. You have your own life in New York. You've got your job and I know how much it means to you. You don't want to go to the movies or a concert with me."

"Hey!" Lara joked. "I'd love to go to the movies or a show with you! I'm just usually really busy during the week."

"I know..." Cole stared out over the snow covered lawn, his face a mask of emotions.

"It's a girl...isn't it" Lara asked, folding her arms across her chest.

Cole's face flushed red, "Yeah...but she's doesn't even know that I'm alive. We even share three of the same classes but I could never work up the nerve to ask her to study, let alone go on a real date."

Lara softened at the heartbroken tone in her brother's voice. "You really like her, don't you?"

When Cole didn't answer, Lara wrapped her arm around him. "Life sucks, huh little brother?"

"Yeah."

Together, Lara and Cole walked back into the house, neither one saying a word.

© Copyright 2018 Catherine DuBose (ladyinthemoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145657-The-Spirit-of-the-Season-Ch-2-3