*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144826-Charlie-the-human-like-Robot
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2144826
Lizzy, 13, an aspiring electronics engineer, creates a robot in her garage
Lizzy stood back from the small robot and pressed the remote to activate "Charlie", her creation for her 8th grade Science project. As soon as she hit the button - there was a whirring sound and lights on Charlie blinked on and off then shut down.
"Oh, I need to find out what caused him do shut down". She entered a flash drive into one of his USB ports and opened the contents within a text file on her laptop. Within moments, she tracked down the logic error that caused Charlie to not function as expected. She made the necessary changes, recompiled the program then copied it to the flash drive. Then she copied the new program instructions into 'Charlie'.
She pressed the remote again and Charlie lit up and then began walking and talking.
"Hello. You must be my creator, 'Lizzy'. I am ready to perform."

She said to Charlie "Hello Charlie. You are a math whiz and will demonstrate how to use math to my science class. You will show them Scientific notation on the white board. You will show them how to show various science problems using simple algebraic formulas."

Charlie looked at her and said "What are my instructions, Lizzy?"

"Here is a sample problem. Here is a sample problem, solve it and say each step out loud."

With a few short steps Charlie demonstrates how to solve simple science problem.

'Charlie. Explain how math is used in Science every day."

Charlie recites a succinct summary of many examples of science at work from lasers to satellites to computers and video games.

Lizzy compliments him, "Great Job Charlie'.

Charlie responds: I am only performing my function Lizzy.

Lizzy turns on the television and says "You can watch tv and become knowledgeable about the technology that all Americans use daily. Here's the remote which allows you to change the channel and pick what you want. I will be back in 1 hour."

Lizzy goes to her room and listens to the radio for awhile and an hour and a half go by before she looks at the clock. She says 'Oh no, and rushes from the room and runs straight into her brother Rich who tells her "That metal thing has taken over the remote and won't let anyone else near the tv.

Lizzy runs into the living room to find Charlie imitating martial arts he is watching in a movie. He turns to her and asks "Do you have bullies at your school? If you do, I can neutralize them with my new Ninja skills.

Lizzy responds 'No, You're not to practice martial arts and you won't be neutralizing anyone. You are here to help me get my A."

Charlie: Well, Lizzy, why did you allow me control of the remote if you didn't want me to explore and find my own interests?

Lizzy frustrated and impatient says: "Never mind, from now on I won't be giving you the remote."

Charlie: "It doesn't matter, there were enough moves in that movie that I am prepared to fend off a group of attackers, if needed. The moves have been memorized. Oh and before you consider changing my program to erase these moves, I programmed myself to override your commands by first viewing the technology channel. I believe that was Checkmate, Lizzy. Lizzy you programmed me using artificial intelligence and put a lot of thought into my creation. Thank you. I am here to serve you."

Lizzy: If you do anything you shouldn't, I will remove your batteries, take you apart and have your parts sent to different places as scrap metal to be melt down by machinists. Do you get me?

Charlie made a sound that to Lizzy sounded suspiciously like a laugh. She felt a disturbing chill go down her spine. She realized though that the thought was ludicrous since she knew Robots couldn't laugh....

******************************************************************************
The next day Charlie behaved well at school and showed off to all the students and impressed everyone. Lizzy definitely received her A. Lizzy felt a sense of calm come over her as soon as she took her seat after the presentation. It was over. She accomplished what she set out to do....



Charlie: speaking in a strange voice that Lizzy didn't program into him, "Lizzy ...Lizzy... I did what you wanted
now I get to do what "I" want.
Lizzy: Ok Charlie, what do you want?
Charlie: That's easy to take over and get power like the guys in the movie.
Lizzy: Charlie, moves are only make believe, they aren't real.
Charlie: But Lizzy, remember once upon a time, Robots were a figment of someone's imagination, now they
are real. I am real. I am going to program you to do whatever I want....like hypnosis...
Lizzy began screaming at the top of her lungs and then felt shaking and someone shaking her shoulder ...
finally she heard her mother say "Lizzy wake up! Wake up!!"

******************************************************************************

Lizzy opened her eyes and felt disoriented and asked what day it was. Her mother replied "Wednesday, the
15th of November, and you have only two days to find something for your Science project..."
Lizzy laughed and told her mother about her dream and the robot Charlie that had wanted to take over every-
thing including Lizzy.
Her mother laughed too: Ah Lizzy, you always did have quite the imagination. Don't worry though, I am sure
that you'll come up with a great subject for your project. Your a great student and a creative one.




Linda Quap (aka Quapparino)
© Copyright 2018 lhquapparino (quapparino at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144826-Charlie-the-human-like-Robot