*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144674-Worst-of-2017-and-a-Resolution-for-2018
Rated: 13+ · Prose · History · #2144674
Earth is under red alert. Word Count: 424
As we near the end of 2017, the words of Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction" keeps playing in my mind. I can't get them out of my head. I watch the news, but I don't hear what the talking heads are saying. Instead, I hear Mr. McGuire's voice singing:

"If the button is pushed, there's no running away,
There'll be no one to save with the world in a grave,"1

Today I watched UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as the video of his speech played on CNN. I cringed when he put the planet on "red alert". After listening to the video, I read an article on MSN.com titled "UN chief issues 'red alert' for the world"2 and cried. While I read the article, Barry McGuire's song continued to run through my head. I remembered the shooting in Las Vegas, the political posturing going on between Korea and the rest of the world. I remembered the white supremest marches. I remember all the deaths that have occurred this year because of prejudices of one type or another, and "Eve of Destruction" reverberates through my mind.

"And you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction."3

I don't believe "we're on the eve of destruction."4 However, I do believe we need to listen to Secretary-General Guterres, and take them to heart. He said, "As we begin 2018, I call for unity. ... We can settle conflicts, overcome hatred and defend shared values. But we can only do that together."5 He has suggested a resolution for 2018, which can transform the world and stop the destruction that appears to be closing in on us.

The road to unity won't be easy, because it means we will have to put behind us our superstitions and preconceived ideas about many things. However, it is the only path for the survival of the human race. If we don't unite, we will all die painful and useless deaths. Therefore, I back Secretary-General Guterres suggestion for 2018. I pray that by the end of the year we (humanity) will be on the path to unity, which will bring about world peace.

The only thing I can do is to write and pray. Therefore, my resolution for 2018 is to write stories, poems, and blog entries that encourage unity. In addition, I will say a prayer for unity everyday. I know that this isn't much, but it is all I can do to assist humanity in its quest for unity and survival.

Footnotes
1  http://www.metrolyrics.com/eve-of-destruction-lyrics-barry-mcguire.html
2  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/un-chief-issues-red-alert-for-the-world/ar-...
3  http://www.metrolyrics.com/eve-of-destruction-lyrics-barry-mcguire.html
4  ibid.
5  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/un-chief-issues-red-alert-for-the-world/ar-...

© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow celebrating (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144674-Worst-of-2017-and-a-Resolution-for-2018