*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143600-Perfect-Memories-Honorable-Mention
by Pepper
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Drama · #2143600
A mother realizes she missed true perfection
Katherine carefully pulled the reindeer from the bubble wrap.  As her wrinkled hands caressed the porcelain figurine, her mind drifted back….

*****


“Mommy, can we put the reindeer under the tree this year?”

“No, it goes on the mantel.”  Exasperated, Katherine gave three-year-old Lance the mom stare.  She did not have time for this.  The tree had to be decorated in time for the big Christmas gala.  The ornaments placed just so with just the right amount of tinsel to fill in the bare spots. 

“Mommy, can I put the angel on? I’m big enough.” 

“Lance! Would you please go pester your father?  I don’t need you underfoot.” 

“But, Mommy? I just wanna help.”

“Go!” Katherine pointed to the door.

Lance stared for a moment, eyes welling with tears before he turned to shuffle off, his head hung low.

*****


A tear slid down Katherine’s cheek.  She had not seen Lance in twenty years.  He had burst into the Christmas party, strung-out on drugs.

“Lance, what are you doing here?”  Katherine hissed.

“What’s a matter, Mother-dearest?” He sneered.  “Expecting your perfect son?”  He turned to the crowd and held up a glass of champagne.  “Merry Christmas everyone!  Are you enjoying the party?  Everything, and I do mean everything, has to be just perfect, you know.”

“Lance!  Would you please—”

“I know. I know,” Lance said. “Go pester someone else.  You know, I think I’ll do just that.” With that he had turned and walked out the door and out of her life.     

*****


She sat the reindeer under the nearest branch and grabbed a gob of tinsel.  She threw it in the air and let it fall in a clump.  She smiled through her tears.

“Now, that would have been perfect,” she whispered.  “Why couldn’t I see that then?”






Honorable Mention in
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
 



Word Count = 300 Words using tinsel, tree, and reindeer

© Copyright 2017 Pepper (plscholl2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143600-Perfect-Memories-Honorable-Mention