*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143453-Dark-Inheritance
by Pepper
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #2143453
An old woman finds her grandson in her bedroom in the middle of the night.
The dark figure stepped over the broken glass.  On the end table, a candle sat, smoke still rising from its extinguished flame.  Darkness shrouded the room, moonlight framing the shrunken body on the bed. 

“Hello, James,” a raspy voice whispered, “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Waiting for me?” 

“Of course.  You’re here to collect on your inheritance.” She chuckled when she saw his eyes widen.  “What?  You thought just because I’m an old woman I wouldn’t see it coming?”  She closed her eyes, pain flashing across her wrinkled countenance. 

“Now, Grandma, that’s the drugs talking.  Nobody’s here to kill you.” 

“I’m not the addict,” she hissed.  “You are.”

He shook his head and bent down to pick up a piece of glass. 

“Planning on cutting me up?”

“No.”  He tossed the glass into a nearby trashcan.  Grandma threw back the covers and struggled to get up.  “No, don’t. You’ll cut your feet.”  He stood and placed restraining hands on her shoulders, but she just began writhing and screeching. 

The door burst open and light flooded the room.  A nurse rushed to the IV and began making adjustments.  Soon the elderly woman quieted.

“What happened?” The nurse asked when calmness had been restored. 

The man returned to picking up shards of glass.  “I knocked over a glass when I put out the candle.  I think it startled her because she’s convinced I’m James here to murder her.” 

“It’s the hair.  When you slick it back you look just like your twin brother.”  She nodded toward the old woman.  “She should sleep the rest of the night.”  With that, she turned and scurried out, closing the door behind her.

“Thanks.”  James whispered and reached for a soft pillow.  “Guess it pays to be a twin.” 



Word Count = 295



First Place in
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
 

Limit 300 words using candle, glass, and pillow.

© Copyright 2017 Pepper (plscholl2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143453-Dark-Inheritance