*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143431-A-pencil
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #2143431
A random thought on your everyday pencil
Sometime when I'm scribbling or doing homework, I take a look at my pencil and wonder what it would think if it had a mind of its own. This is a pretty random question really, then I take a look at my sharpener, and think of how I am slowly killing my pencil every time I use it. The whole process got me thinking, how similar are we to pencils? Hypothetically of course, however I think we all share some similarity with the common pencil. We all are of the same kind, with different races and nationality just like how a pencil can have different colors and different boldness, it's still a pencil. Likewise I think our life is as dispensable as a pencil. Looking way back in the WW2, millions of people have died fighting for their own cause, these people are indeed heroes but I can't help but think that they are pretty much pencils that got thrown away, no one truly remembers all the people who had died and most of the time even their corpses were lost forever, just like how we throw a used up pencil in the trash without much thought. On TV/schools etc.. . people usually tells you that you're special, "we" are special, every one of us is different and unique. Biologically speaking then yeah that's true, but you are most likely not going to special. There are 7 billion people in the world, and in my rough estimation about a million of which can be considered special. That includes war generals, diplomats, movie stars,... so statistically speaking your chances of being remembered as "special" is minuscule. Your life will most likely be "grow up, go to school, get a job, get married, have kids, retire then die". However as I was lost in thought, I realized something with my pencil. I really like this pencil. It's not because it's a beautiful or well-made pencil, It's a normal pencil that you can probably find in your everyday shop. But it's special to me, why? Because it's mine, I have spent quite a long time using that pencil, I took tests with it, and drew with it as well. Consequently it became "special" to me, and I think the same goes for humans as well. You will most likely be an average Joe, with a normal life and job, yet you are special. To the friends that you made, you are special, to your parents, you're even more special. And to your partner, you're the most special. When I was born, I dreamed of being an astronaut, that dream died as I grew up and become more "realistic" as you can say. However I don't need to be so to be extraordinary, I was always special and unique from the start. Looking at my pencil, this wooden stick that we use to write, so insignificant yet I still hold dear, and I think to myself, how similar we are to this pencil.

-Black Coffee

© Copyright 2017 Black Coffee (saintwill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143431-A-pencil