*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143076-Birthday-Party-Escape
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2143076
Dad, Mom, Johnny and Carol are trapped in their burning house. How will they escape?
Birthday Party Escape

"Something smells funny," little Carol says as she comes into her parent's bedroom, rubbing her eyes.

Mom and Dad wake up, and sniff the air.

"Could be the steak and fish we grilled for the party," Mom replies. It had been a great backyard birthday party for Johnny, Carol's big brother.

"No, it's NOT," exclaims Dad. "Everybody up," he shouts. "It's a fire!"

Johnny stumbles out of his room to join them.

"This way," says Dad, leading them down the hallway toward the stairs to the first floor.

As they near the head of the stairs, there's a scary glow that slows them down. The bottom of the stairs is engulfed in flames.

"Are we trapped Dad?" asks Johnny.

Dad doesn't answer right away, as they edge back up the hallway.

"Got it," says Dad. "Into Johnny's bedroom at the back of the house."

When they're all in the room, Dad closes the door, and then tries to open a window facing the backyard.

"Nuts, it's stuck hard," Dad says. "Try it with me."

With Dad on one handle, and Mom on the other, they both try to pull the window up. No luck.

"We need something to pry it open," Dad says.

"How about my birthday present?" Johnny asks. "My new scout knife."

"Let's try it," says Dad. He loosens one side, then the other, then the bottom. Mom and Dad pull up again, and it opens.

"You don't want us to jump from way up here, do you?" asks Mom.

"Actually, yes," Dad replies. "Take a look."

Mom looks, and then shouts, "Ok kids, jump, jump!"

They're laughing on the way down.

With the fire out, the firemen are amazed to see that the Big Bounce House setup for Johnny's birthday party saved the day!

© Copyright 2017 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143076-Birthday-Party-Escape