*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143059-Programming-the-AS3X
Rated: E · Article · Technology · #2143059
Supplemental Written Instruction to subject above
Those who follow my blog are aware that I'm a radio control model airplane enthusiast. In this endeavor I've encountered my old nemesis. This is an overt passion for something where I've little aptitude. So it follows that acquiring the skills to fly an RC model airplane has been another of the many frustrating challenges I face in life.

What got me interested again, in recent years, was the realization that it was possible, using evolving technology, to fly an RC Model Airplane using an on-board camera instead of flying "Old School" from the edge of the flying field. Even though the possibility exists to do this, a prerequisite is knowing how to fly a model. Hence, I had to first learn how to fly a model the old fashioned way before moving into this new state of the art capability.

It took joining a club, a one week course, and three years, before my skills developed to where I became remedially competent. My shop is filled with the reminders. It was only with the purchase of a Horizon Hobby, Cessna 150 that I broke out of the clouds. While the Cessna 150 is a good model it was the ASX 3, Stabilization Receiver that was largely responsible for my rapid improvement. It's hardly surprising then, that I wanted to install this stabilization in all my model airplanes, since flying First Person View requires a stable platform. So I went on line to find out what went into programming an AS3X receiver. Was I ever in for a big surprise.

There are sixteen U-tube videos produced by Horizon Hobby that show how to program their AS3X Receiver. John Adams, Technical Director at Horizon Hobby, leads you through the process. He does a pretty good job however, I have huge problems learning something exclusively through watching a u-tube video. So I decided to write some supplemental instructions and publish a written guide more for my use than anyone else's. You can find John Adams and the site by searching ASX3 Spectrum Receiver Programming u-tube videos

Video #1: This video explains that Transmitters are compatible with the AS3X receiver. Most but not all Spectrum transmitters are. Please note that when the APP opens there is a set up wizard that leads the programmer through the set-up progression. I will be using the DX9, which is the one John uses uses in his videos. The main point of the video is to stress that when using a the DX9 it is important to select an unused "acro" or if a previously used slot is required because of space issues, that the programming for the old model is reset. All setting for alieons, rudder, and elevator. Remain the default settings.


Video #2: This video explains...

1. Wether or not to use a supplemental antenna plugged into the AS3X. My receiver did not come with one but I intend to install one even if it isn't really necessary. Sensors that selef6t roll pitch and yaw. If the aircraft is a gasser or is made of non conductive material you need an auxiliary antenna. Conductive material.

2. The importance of insuring that orientation of the receiver inside the model airplane is level and parallel to the axis of the fuselauge. Ar 636 It must be faced forwards or backwards along the axis and placed up, down, left or right. There are eight possibilities. It can not be faced perpendicular or up or down. It must be level and installed securely. Flats need to be parallel to pitch axis... Never at an angle.

Sometimes receiver is mounted on bottom... sensors built in vital that receiver be securely mounted. jDry fit and find a place for the receiver to go. Look at where the servo leads come, one of eight possible positions. Install servo tape...peel back and make sure receiver is s2uared up with eh axis of the airplane.... wrap the antenna down the side and use small piece of tape to secure it in place.

Limit vibration.... in greater thicknesses of foam...if necessary.... gassers.

In some aircraft may have to build up surface with balsa

video #3: This Video explains how to "Bind" the receiver to the transmitter.

1. Place the bind plug into the programming port of the AS3X.

2. Place a battery into any of the other ports.

3. When the light begins to flash, make sure the throttle is in lowest position, hold down the bind button on the receiver and turn it on. Hold until the voice announces that "Binding is Complete." LED goes on solid. Bind at low throttle.... failsafe... have to go back later to rebind.

Video #4: This video tells how to install the Installation Application (APP) Go to Apple or Google store. If have ar code for IOS and android devices.... will be taken directly to application.

1. Read the Quick Start sheet that came with the AS3X.

2. Take your smart phone and scan the "Square." This talks you through downloading the App.

Video #5: Connecting receiver to the APP menu.

1. Connect the cable to the ASX3 as shown next.

2. The servo connector end goes in the Bind/PRG slot on the AS3X.

3. Power up the AS3X by plugging in a battery.

4. Open the APP. by plugging the jack on the cable into the auto port of the IOS device

5. Turn the volume to full. plug in the audio jack.... rotating bars.... receiver out of synch.... two options ok

6. Synch

There are many like myself who like to see written instructions to supplement a video presentation.

In my case it goes much deeper. I need to translate instructions of any sort into a language that flows easily into my understanding. Hence the drill that you are followiong now, no doubt with great interest. *BigSmile*

In two earlier blogs I recently presented why and wrote notes for the first five U-tube videos produced by Horizon Hobby to explain how the programming works for the AS3X. The first instructional supplement covered U-tube videos 1-5, which dealt with preprogramming tasks that must be covered first. Now I'll turn to the next series go U-Tube videos which explain concepts, discuss values and where to plug them into the programming App.

Video #6 Model Programming Set-Up. Ton write to flash I must exit screen... question mark inside bar... If having problems with conntectyiion changes are right sequence was not used.

1. Open the APP. Notice first the app opens in the Wizard.

2. Select the new model wizard. This is at the top of the menu and leads the set-up through a logical progression.

a. Take photo. This allows taking a picture of the model and having it displayed when the model comes up.
b. Select Receiver: AR636/6335
c. Select Transmitter: DX9

Video 7. Orientations: Must match the graphic on the screen. Extremely important. Look at the antenna and pins. Keep in mind that this is upside down....*I will rotate it... in this case the antenna is to the front...

a. Input receiver orientation... i.e. Label down, pins to rear. Here is a picture in the app that shows the model and inside the AR636 receiver. Using a finger swipe you turn the receiver until it faces in the right direct and has the correct spatial relationship. (Turned left, right, up and down.)

b. Pitch/Roll/Yaw: These are technical terms. The terms Pitch (Elevator)is the nose of the aircraft, up or down.... Roll (ailerons) deflected in opposite directions causing the fuselage to bank... Yaw (rudder)is the rudder moving right or left. So if the nose of the model is pointing up or down that is "Pitch." If the model is rotating sideways on its horizontal axis that is "Roll" and if the tail of the model is displacing right or left on its horizontal axis that is "Yaw."

4. Model must match the graphic in the APP or the model is likely to crash on takeoff. In the video follow the orientation of the receivers pins and antenna.

Video 8: Flight Mode Set-Up

1. Turn on the Flight Mode. This can be the Gear Channel with a two flight mode or Aux1 which is a 3 position switch having selection 1,2,3.

2. Channel assignment can be moved to any three position switch. Flight Mode sets up any switch. Position 1 is no stabilization, Position 2 is Stabilization and 3 (in video) is 3D mode. Since I don't fly I will simply up the rates for no wind, moderate wind and excessive wind.

a. No Stabilization
b. Moderate wind conditions
c. Excessive Wind conditions.

Video 9: Aircraft Type and Selection;

This step matches the APP with the type of aircraft and lets the transmitter know what type of craft is being flown. In the video a Yak is used which has dual ailerons and no "Y-Harness."

Video 10: Port Assignment:

Once the type aircraft is known a graphic appears with all the control surfaces numbered with where they plug into the receiver.

1. Tells where to plug the servos in which receiver slots. This is a nice feature and makes hook-up easier since the connection ports are numbered 1-6 and do not have the names written in the clear indication what the control surface is that plugs into which channel.
treborp
.0
32+61+++

GAIn and priority...roll pitch and yaw...fllight mode 1 everything is zeroed... rate gain head ing and priority gain.... rate conventional gain that corrections only in motion... Heading gain tries to maintain and attitude...fi a force is trying to displace it acts like a dampe5r ..... Heading gain will try and maintain that heading. Priority will displace will turn off in purporting it will redid bairlain grate

roll on flight mode 1..off. Every airplane will require tiits flight qualities to be set to llll. jIf too high aircraft will occilate, that means the gain too high.... if too low don't get the stability.... If heading gain get occil98itation..if too low won't hold knife edge.

Occilate can be dangerous... go immediately to FM1, Roll gain on yak needs to be low. 15% for flyaround.

Leave on absolute now FM 3: Using only for hovering flip to FM 3 then turn up to 40%. Only turning heading hold is right at center... you only use if stick is at center.

Pitch 1, nothing, FM2 , FM# 40% and $0% Saame for Small con tool surfaces hight to gain the stability necessary. Check to make sure the surfaces move correctly.n

How to set the gains up in flight.

How to set up the relatives:

Setting up in flight.... DX9


























io
2. Note: The video stresses that only the control surfaces are programmed in the APP. All other functions are programmed in the DX9 Transmitter. For example ancillary channels such as the Throttle are programmed in the receiver.
3. Note: It was suggested that an extension be plugged into the bind port and anywhere else where setting up the airplane at the flying field can be done while sitting right side up.

Video 11: Installing the Fail Safes.

There are two kinds of fail safes. One tells the control surface to make a change if signal is lost and the other tells the control surface to remain at the last known command. At the very least the throttle needs to be shut down immediately if signal is lost.

1. In order to store use the bind at low throttle. Turn on the Transmitter. (A "Bump" is 30% trim?)

Video 12: Surface Set up... Sub trim, Trim adjust, reverse.

1. Touch surface to program. for example right aileron.
2. Subtrim...Slide and return... Hit plus to if aileron is lowered or slide and tap. Same with rudder and elevator.
3. Note: Have trim manually adjusted to maxim extent possible before trimming.
4. Note: Don't use balance.
5. Exit using upper right orange box... then double check

Video 13: Exponential and dual rate trim set up.

1. Hit Exponential 3 flight mode 3 axis scroll left to right. Aux 1 has 3 flight modes... 1, 2, 3. 1 turns off, 2 normal flight, 3 3D Flight.
2. Pick exponential, scroll up, set 40% #1
3. Mode 2 also 40%
4. Mode 3 set 50%
5 Elevator pitch: 1, 30%, 2 30%, 3, 50%
6. Rudder yaw: 1,30% 2, 30%, 3, 40%
7 Note: Question mark in upper right hand corner explains in more detail.
8. Dual Rates... roll Safe 40%, pitch #2 50%, yaw leave at 100%...pitch 25% 3d 100%... yaw 40% 2,40% 3,100%

Video 14: Gain adjustment (Priority) Here AS3X happens.... Roll, Pitch, Yaw.

1. Corrects during motion
2. Heading Gain maintains attitude.
3. Will turn and mark
4. Priority 100%
5. roll leave
6. Wing of airplane determines... size surface speed servos.
7. When Oscillation occurs as speed increases reduce value.
8. Roll Pitch... if gain too low no stabilization, if too high oscillation.... If oscillation begins immediately go to mode 1.
9. Roll 15% normal flight.... heading, no gain. mode 3 only for hover.... 3D.
10 Mode 2 20% for flying around with stabilization.
11. Yaw mode 1 40%,
12. If surface all and need more authority ABSOLUTE.

Video 15: Setting up RELATIVE

1 Telemetry
2 Any Screen
3. Axcess any screen
4 Both left default to GEAR
5. Select Aux 2 for what the model is in
6. Swoth D
7. Input left travel.

Video 16: Preflight Checklist

1. Check surfaces.... alieron, Elevator Rudder
2. Select Flight Mode.
a. Check roll left... right aileron up.
b. Check the quick start guide if in doubt
c. Do not reverse control surfaces in transmitter.
d. Use the APP to set up surface controls.
e. If doesn't work check receiver orientation.
f. Verify flight modes... 1 Old school, 2 moderate gains, 3 high rake gains.

OTHER FUNCTIONS:

Mixing (Master /Slave) Rudder and nose wheel example
Hit the mix function....pos I've or negative mix.




© Copyright 2017 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143059-Programming-the-AS3X