*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142537-The-Grandparents-Christmas
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Family · #2142537
Their family couldn't come for the holidays
Lucille put the last plate on a small folding table. She clasped her hands in delight.

"We're ready honey!" She called out to Henry who checked the dinner cooking in the kitchen.

"It's ready here. As soon as they get here we'll set the food out on the counter and they can dish up." Lucille hugged him while he lifted the tin foil from the turkey.

"Henry, this is going to be the best Christmas since the kids moved away." She whispered as if the walls had ears.

"I know sweetheart. It maybe our last. We have no idea what the future holds, so this has to be the best Christmas ever." He waved his hands in a swishing motion for her to go out to the living room.

The door bell chimed and Lucille hurried to welcome the guests.

The first to arrive were a young couple in their twenties. "Come in children. I'm Lucille and my husband is Henry. We're so glad you agreed to come to dinner."

"I'm Tim and this is Emily Sanders."

Before she could close the door another couple stepped on to the porch. "Oh, come in." She introduced herself and the young couple.

"We're Jack and Sarah."

Lucille swept her hand indicating the lack of space. "Grab a chair and sit were you want. If you'd like, fill up the dining room table first."

Jack and Sarah went right to the dining room, while Tim and Emily stood next to a small table set for two.

When all eighteen guests arrived, Henry clapped his hand for attention.

"I've been informed Jack here is a minister-"

"Chaplain." Jack whispered.

"All the same to God. He's going to give the blessing. After that take your plate and come to the kitchen. Before we do that, I'm sure you've all guessed that each of you were invited through a text message. I read about a couple who thought they were inviting their children, but in fact had invited strangers to their house. Lucille and I thought it would be a fun idea. Here you are, our guests, slightly strange-ers." He wiggled his bushy brows at the group, who laughed in response." You're welcome here and we hope you enjoy the company and the food."

Time moved quickly and the guests moved to the door to leave, bearing containers Lucille prepared with leftovers. The sound of the door bell interrupted their goodbyes. Henry opened the door and a man pushed his way into the room followed by two other men. All wore nylon stockings over their faces and brandished guns. They corralled the group closer together in the center of the small living room.

"Thanks for the invitation, sorry we missed the dinner. But we're here for the dessert; cash, credit cards and jewelry. Put all your valuables on the table.Don't be stingy, 'tis the Season"



WC 774
© Copyright 2017 Quick-Quill (thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142537-The-Grandparents-Christmas