*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142213-approaches-of-curbing-bullying
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #2142213
different methods of minimizing bullying
                             
Running          head: APPROACHES OF CURBING BULLYING           1

         
Approaches of Curbing Bullying


Forgiveness is also an approach which can be used to effectively reduce bullying in school (Ahmed & Braithwaite, 2006). It is known to be the most powerful weapon that is used by the affected parties to bring to an end the cycle behavior of being destructive. Forgiveness is only possible if the victim decides not to hold any grudge against the offender. He decides to let go every hatred and trusts that the wrong door will accept the chance and assume a responsible life. The victim expects that with forgiveness and acceptance bullying should come to an end. The effectiveness of this approach is that the wrongdoer feels acceptance back to the community. He is also aware that the victim will take him as a changed- for -the- better person from there on. This is achieved after the offender accepts his mistakes and changes to be able to manage the shame. On the other hand, wrongdoer who is unable to manage the shame blames others for the mistakes done. He suffers shame replacement which increases bullying (Rigby, 2004).
The other method that is used to minimize bullying is through the community-based approaches (Dusenbury et al, 1997). The community incorporates all the stakeholders including the teachers, coaches, parents, the law and the students at large. The community has to address the issue of bullying otherwise silence paves way for increased bullying among students. Adult role models who are against bullying are examples that students emulate. Organizing events like games and sports in playgrounds and have the coach supervise teaches students to care and love their neighbor. Group work is also another way that teachers use as a way of minimizing bullying in class. The community is also free to use the law and warn the students against any act of bullying. The challenge faced here is that very little effort has been channeled to curb this issue of bullying (Hay & Meldrum, 2010). The community has not taken the problem of bullying with the weight that it deserves.















Reference

Ahmed, E., & Braithwaite, V. (2006). Forgiveness, reconciliation, and shame: Three key variables in reducing school bullying. Journal of Social Issues62(2), 347-370.
Rigby, K. (2004). Addressing bullying in schools: Theoretical perspectives and their implications. School Psychology International25(3), 287-300.
Dusenbury, L., Falco, M., Lakem, A., Brannigan, R., & Bosworth, K. (1997). Nine critical elements of promising violence prevention programs. Journal of School Health67(10), 409-414.
Hay, C., & Meldrum, R. (2010). Bullying victimization and adolescent self-harm: Testing hypotheses from general strain theory. Journal of youth and adolescence39(5), 446-459.

© Copyright 2017 Eliza kim (lizkim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142213-approaches-of-curbing-bullying