*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2141780-Lucas
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #2141780
My first short story.
Lucas sat on a rocky outcropping on the cliffside. Sitting there at dusk gave the snowcapped mountains in the near distance a burnt and scarlet hue as they reached upwards into a darkening sky giving way to night. The woods behind him sheltered him from the light blowing breeze and cast a peaceful shadow wrapping around him like a warm blanket on a cool morning. He watched contently as the blue sky gave way to a white dotted indigo.
This was Lucas' favorite spot in the whole world. His best friend Matt often referred to it as Lucas point because he could always find Lucas here. From here Lucas could contemplate life and think clearly. He could look into the sky that spread out and on forever and contemplate the nature of his own spirit. He could look out to the rising Earth and remember that no matter how grand and magnificent, everything gives way to time. Looking down to the lake below, it's often reflective surface reminded him that he has a place amongst everything.
Though he couldn't claim many years in life, he was profoundly wise. He knew that there should always be more time for play than for work, that a hug could make everything immediately better, and that the best way to show the ones you love is the just be there for them. Lucas just knew how precious life is. As he sat there, watching the last embers of daylight burn atop the mountains, he heard a noise coming from the woods behind him.
He turned his head to see his friend Matt step out from the path behind the trees. Matt saw Lucas right away and said with a smile "I knew that I would find you here." Lucas' tail wagged and he started panting softly as Matt sat down beside him. "There's a meteor shower tonight," Matt said, "what do you say we sit here and watch some shooting stars?" as he rubbed Lucas' ears
Lucas' mouth turned up into a smile and he looked at Matt lovingly. Out here, under the sky, over the lake, beside the mountains, and with his best friend, Lucas knew that a dog's life was wonderful.

© Copyright 2017 CreativeApathy (226sundayam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2141780-Lucas