*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140388-Sonny-Came-Home
by Kimbug
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #2140388
Based on a true story
It was a great day for fishing. The weather was not too sunny or hot; plus, there was a gentle breeze blowing every once in a while. I shifted in my chair, checked my line, then slowly reeled. Nothing. Not even a nibble. I checked my watch, it would be dark in another hour; the fish don't seem to be biting. Nevertheless, I recast my line. A pleasant memory came to mind of a time my children were younger when I used to take them fishing. They don't seem to have much interest in it now that they're older. I looked up and saw a man walking towards me. He smiled and waved. I waved back. He looked like someone I knew years ago; but, I couldn't recall the name.

"Hello there, neighbor," he replied. The man was of medium height and slim build wearing a dark t shirt, cut off denim shorts and straw hat.

"Hey," I replied, with a smile.

"How's the fishin'?"

"Not so good today," I answered.

"The name's Heidelberg," he responded.

"Ah, I thought you looked familiar." The Heidelbergs were one of the older, established families in this small, rural community. Most of them moved away, but, they come back annually for their family reunion. They were all dark complexioned with prominent noses. This guy had the same features.

"Say, do you know any of the Fords?" he asked.

"No, the last Ford moved away after they sold their farm twenty years ago," I replied.

"What about Delbert Ford?"

"He died in a tractor accident. That's why the farm was sold."

"Oh, that's terrible. What happened to Sally Mitchell?"

"I'm not familiar with her. My wife is related to the Mitchells, but, I don't recall a Sally."

"Okay, okay, well, since you know the Mitchells, you must know Credell Mitchell."

"He got shot at the local juke joint twenty years ago."

"Oh, man. Me and Credell used to run together. I'm so sorry to hear that. Well, look, I'm gonna head back because I know my family is wondering where I'm at. Nice to have met you, Mr---"

"Williams. Jesse Williams," I replied.

"Jesse Williams, got it. I'm Sonny. Tell Mr. Milton I said hello. I'm going now. Enjoy your fishin'."

"Yeah, thanks." I watched him walk down the hill back towards the road from whence he came and returned to fishing. When darkness began to descend, I packed up my gear and headed to my uncle's house, about two hundred yards away. I walked through the fence and padlocked the gate behind me. They were kind enough to let me have a key. I decided to let them know I was headed home. An unfamiliar maroon Cadillac was parked in the drive way; they must have company. Softly, I knocked on the unlocked screen door. I heard laughter and smelled cigarette and cigar smoke.

"Come on in, Jesse," implored Uncle Milton, "Have you met the Johnsons? They're just passing through from---"

"Missouri," replied the older gentleman.

"Missouri. As in St Louis?" I asked.

"Of course. I see you got your fishin' hat on. You catch anything?"

"Not a thing. Uncle, before I forget, Sonny Heidelberg told me to tell you hello."

"Sonny Heidelberg?" Everyone in the room looked at each other quizzically and murmured among themselves. Finally, Aunt Marie spoke.

"Jesse, Sonny's been dead for twenty-three years."




© Copyright 2017 Kimbug (kimbrewer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140388-Sonny-Came-Home