*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139940-Choosing-Your-Genre
Rated: E · Article · Career · #2139940
A look at what can concern an author the most.


How to write and what to write go hand in hand. One is not more important than the other. I have gone through many genres before I settled on non-fiction and steam punk.

I decided to write a children's book for my cousin's daughter a few years ago, and I was sure that this was my genre. I loved writing the book, but it turned out I was not sure about the children's genre. I thought it would be simple to write for children, but that is not the case. I got the book done but decided that children's fiction was not really for me. I trashed that idea.

I wrote a horror story entitled "Devolved" that actually appeared in a magazine. I thought horror was the thing for me. It was edgy and intense. I loved writing the story, but, again, the genre was not really for me. Another idea went into the recycle bin. I was at a loss at this point.

Then, through my writing group I was introduced to the Punk fiction genre. It has everything I had been looking for. I could let my imagination run away with me. I could create interesting, vibrant characters and settings. I love writing steam punk. From my first story it was the genre for me. I love it. Currently I am writing my first story in a steam punk/mystery series, and I am having the time of my life.

I also wanted to create a copy writing business. I love writing articles. That was an easy choice, and I am writing for two of my own Facebook groups.

When you look for your genre look deep inside yourself and find out what really speaks to you and your muse. Find out what genre gets those creative juices flowing for you. It is different for everyone.

You may go through a few genres, like I did. You may land on your genre right away. Just write what your gut tells you. If you do you will find that genre which ignites your readers' imaginations. They will read more of you if you do that.

The most important thing is to give yourself time. Your genre will present itself. Don't get discouraged.

© Copyright 2017 amy-Has a great future ahead (shyone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139940-Choosing-Your-Genre