*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138930-What-are-plants-and-trees
by Ari
Rated: E · Article · Nature · #2138930
A quick explanation on what plants and trees are for kids. Part 3 in my What is series.
Plants and trees are living things, they need sun, water, and soil to grow. Plants usually get their water from rain and their energy from sun light.

Plants

Plants start as seeds. You plant the seed in the soil in a sunny spot and water it, the plant should soon start to sprout. The roots begin to grow and as this happens leaves and buds should start to appear. Later on the plant will eventually grow into its full form.
Some plants are called flowers. Flowers tend to attract bugs like bees or beetles. This is because inside a flower is a powder called pollen and a liquid called nectar. Flowers use pollen from other flowers to create seeds and bees are usually attracted to nectar because they use it to make honey!

Trees

Some trees can live for up to 300 years! In order for a tree to stay alive it has important parts like roots, a trunk, and leaves.
Roots suck up the water from the ground, they also help the tree from falling over! Th trunk transports the water from the roots through the trunk and to the branches and leaves where the leaves soak the water up through their veins!
Just like flowers have seeds Oak trees have acorns, acorns eventually sprout into baby trees called saplings. Once a tree is fully grown it can be hard to tell how old it is, unless somebody has cut the tree down to use its wood. Inside of a tree there are rings that tell you how old it is. But you don't want to cut down to many because trees are home to many, squirrels, birds, and other creatures!


© Copyright 2017 Ari (iamawriter03 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138930-What-are-plants-and-trees