*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138031-Where-there-is-life-there-is-hope
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #2138031
My Magical Realism short story for 9th grade English honors II. October contest.
A girl in a flowing white dress and long black hair was walking down a hidden path. After a few minutes of walking she came to an opening. This was by far her favorite place in the world she knew. Miles and miles of endless forest, animals and flowers. The bugs didn’t bother her much, but only because she had her own solution for the bugs. She walked for a few more paces and came upon a small grave stone. Her mother's name was carved into the stone. Angelica. Was her name. The girl sank gracefully to her knees and placed boutique of flowers on the soft soil.
In the bundle was a Bird of Paradise this flower was said to represent joyfulness and magnificence. A Pink Carnation, representing the love the child had for her mother. A small group of Yellow Daffodils, said to indicate rebirth and new beginnings opposed to a single Daffodil that foretells misfortune. A Gladiolus that symbolizes character, faithfulness and honor. A snapdragon that represented her strength, but there was one above all. A Hydrangea. This one was for heartfelt emotions.
A hand touched the girl's shoulders and she almost jumped out of her skin. A boy, three and a half inches taller than her stood behind her. “Who are you?” her voice held dry confidence and was commanding.
“I am Kai.” He had black hair that was swept to the side, his eyes were an generic brown, but something was different. He had wings. They were tucked in, in between his shoulder blades, and when unfurled, they easily could be 8 feet long, tip to tip. She has not noticed them yet.
“Kai?” the name felt familiar to her lips. She felt like she has forgotten something, not knowing who the teen boy in front of her really was.
“I am your twin brother.” He pressed on, trying to get her to remember him.
“My brother died when I was five. You are not him.” Her voice was suddenly cold. After he died, they never talked of him, usually calling him by a different name.
The boy named Kai sighed. “I should’ve thought Mother would’ve hid the truth.” Now and only now did he show his wings. The girl fell back with a sharp scream. She did not expect that, but was amazed nonetheless.
“Wha- What are you? Wh- Who are you?” she was stuttering, weather it was from a sudden rush of adrenalin or she was scared. Kai, nor the girl knew.
“Like i said, I am Kai. Son of Natalie, and James, Twin brother to Lily… You.”
It was like the world came into sharp relief for the girl, known as Lily. “K- Kai…” Tears threatened to fall from her eyes.
“The one and only.” the girl shot at him for an embrace. Kai hugged her back. She was crying, finally getting rid of the grief and pain she has hid. “It’s okay, you’re alright.” he continued to whisper comforting, but meaningless words to her. Hoping to calm her down.
“Why are you here?” she asked once she calmed down.
“Mom wanted me to check on you, even though me showing myself, May have some interesting consequences.” She nodded as if she understood.
“Why are your wings black?” He winced, like he hated the question.
“That, I can not tell you the answer to.” she gave a quizzical frown, wanting to ask more, but guessing by the way he reacted, she did not press on. “I… I need to get going.” he looked around. That’s when she noticed the small cut on his cheek, and cut up shabby appearance.
“Okay.” She understood why he needed to leave. The ‘interesting consequences’ gave her more than one reason to be concerned, but she knew to let him go. She gave him one last hug and backed up. “I’ll see you around?” her tone was sad.
“Perhaps another day.” and without a goodbye. He flapped his magnificent wings and took off. After what seemed like hours, but in reality minutes, he was nothing but a black smudge on the horizon.
She has lost those important to her, but seeing him gave her new found determination. It gave her the determination to live on for those she has lost. With that she surged to the small hill and ran up it. As she got to the top she yelled something only her and her brother understood at that time.
Dum vita est, spes est. Where there is life, there is hope.



[Word count not counting this 755]
© Copyright 2017 ShadoWolf (shadowolf101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138031-Where-there-is-life-there-is-hope