*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137823-The-Creation-of-David
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2137823
A backstory of my antagonist, David, for my 2017 NaNoWriMo.
Ricky, David's brother, reached across and grabbed the ear of corn from the five-year-old's plate.

"Hey! Give that back!" David reached over, only to have his hand slapped by his brother.

"David, the world ain't going to give you much. You gotta take what you want." His father spoke as he chewed on a chicken leg.

David sulked, planning his revenge on Ricky's roll.

He never got that revenge. But he never forgot that lesson. That was the last lesson his father ever taught him...on purpose. The last lesson his father ever taught him was not to rely on people because they disappear when you're in bed and never come back.


Eleven-year-old David quietly opened his brother's wallet and took out five dollars. His listened to the shower water to ensure his safety. He knew ultimately he'd get punched in the face for this, but it didn't matter, by then the money would be spent and it would be worth it.

He walked through the living room and his mother called to him from the couch. "David, be a good boy and get Mama another refill."

"Yes, Mama."

He hated refilling her drink, but he also knew it wasn't worth the argument. She'd get her drink one way or another and at least this way he didn't risk a drunken pummeling or the cutting words of the one who bore him. He took her glass into the kitchen, filled it with ice, and poured the foul liquid into it. He hated the smell of the liquor. He didn't understand how she or his brother could stand it. Maybe one of these days he'd try it to see, but not today. His stomach rumbled in the empty kitchen. He was on a mission to fill it for the first time in nearly a day and a half. Perhaps this magic elixir is why his mother and brother seem to fair better without food. But for him, a burger was in his future.

He placed the glass in his mother's hand, feeling the roughness of her fingers as his scraped across hers in the exchange.

"Where ya goin?"

"Out."

That answer seemed to satisfy her as she took a long pull on the drink. He shut the door behind him. He knew his life was full of lessons. His father had taught him that. But he wondered what this taught him.
© Copyright 2017 Schnujo is Late to Lannister (schnujo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137823-The-Creation-of-David