*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137791-October-14-NaNo-Prep-Challenge
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2137791
Antagonist background story for 2017 October Nano Prep.
He was a sharply-dressed man. It was to be expected from someone who held a position of power such as him. He knew what he wanted, though his desires were on the strange side to most. However, he was respected.
He leaned on the railing of his apartment that overlooked the growing London skyline. Super skyscrapers covered the landscape, the smaller buildings dwarfed by their shadow. In his hand, a lit cigarette glowed orange, and he flicked the ash down into the seemingly endless pit below.
"Laosx," a weak, female voice called from behind him. He turned his head slowly.
"Yes?" he asked.
"You have a visitor," the voice spoke again.
"Send them in," he said, his tone sharp. He straightened out and crushed his cigarette into the ashtray off to the side. Once more, he looked out over the city before he stepped inside.
The young woman that stood before him was easily recognizable as a halfling. The half-elf, half-human race that had recently begun to crop up were called "phims". As a pureblooded elf, he regarded them as many others did – social exiles trying to find their place in a world that would never accommodate them. But this one was different. She was from a privileged line, one whose name carried great weight in the political arena. She was fearless, and he couldn't help but admire her for it.
"Emelyana Daric," he acknowledged. The phim nodded toward him.
"Mr. Sarfiel," she said sharply. "I have what you've requested."
"Excellent," he said.
"I want what you promised me," she said, her blue eyes watching him carefully. "Then we'll have a deal."
He raised his hands in surrender. "Of course, my dear," he said. "You don't think I would try anything, do you?"
"I certainly hope not," she said.
While Laosx held a great position of power as the head of the security council of London, the Daric's could destroy his career if they wanted. He had to be careful, especially around their daughter. She was very active in politics, specifically around security, as he was. Their areas of interest were similar in that they both believed in the cleanup of the inner city slums that deteriorated the city's image.
Least called up the holograms, data displayed in translucent boxes all across the hardly-visible screen. His fingers brushed against the surface carefully, tapping a few buttons before switching it back off again.
"It's been sent," he said. "What did you bring me?"
"Names, mostly," she said, holding out a glass rectangle in the palm of her hand. He could see the microchips embedded within the material. "But also, a location. The place where they meet. It's a bar, or at least, it's disguised as one. That is where you'll find them."
"And the slums will finally be eradicated," Laosx said with a nod, and carefully took the glass from Emelyana's hand. "You've done well, my dear. Your parents will be proud."
She turned on her heel. "Goodnight, Mr. Sarfiel," she said as she shut the door behind her. He glanced down at the small object in his hand and smiled. London would no longer be held back from reaching its full potential.
© Copyright 2017 Annacaza (annacaza at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137791-October-14-NaNo-Prep-Challenge