*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137302-When-Its-Over
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Emotional · #2137302
Reflection on youth sports
When It's Over.........

I walked into the house after a typical early Spring practice thinking I'd ask the question, but already anticipating the response........and truthfully, I wasn't real sure I wanted a "positive" answer.

"How'd practice go"?

"Fine.......(here goes)......I have a question that was posed to me while we were there today".

"Yeah"? (she has no clue)

"One of the coaches from the 9/10 travel team was there and he wants to know if J would/could play travel". (Not the whole story yet.....be patient, please)

"Seriously......."?

"Yeah......it's a bit more involved, though. They also want me to coach".

"Oh" (Here comes the no.......)

"He's saying they have about 16 kids, don't want to cut any, and would really like to make a 'B' team..........and they need coaches. They also asked Chris, and he and I would be 'partners'....or co-coaches. Practices on Friday nights and double header games on Saturday afternoons with 3 tournaments mixed in. Season would last through the end of June."

"Sounds good....." (Wha?.........but that ruins our weekend, right?)

"You're cool with it.....I mean it is only through June, and we'd have the rest of the summer, right"?

"Right"..........

10 years later (and the 8 Saturdays through June had grown into a year round exercise 4 or 5 days a week) I'm walking across a dew soaked field on a bright, but cool Fall Saturday morning and chatting with another Dad who is walking with me......walking towards the field our sons were to be playing on in a few hours. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a very young boy (maybe 5 or 6) dragging his bat and bag through the grass and his Dad on their way to an early morning workout.

"You remember those days"? Asked the Dad walking with me.

And it slapped me in the face like a frozen open hand.............It was going to end.......soon. 

"I do.......", as I swiped at a tiny tear in my eye.

My son had graduated high school  the previous June, and his son was a Freshman, prepping for winter workouts and ultimately spring tryouts.....(his ride was just starting in my eyes).....and mine........coming to an end.

I'm glad I never knew when the last game was, and I do not remember it anymore than I remember the first game. I DO remember the friends, the long drives, the winning, losing, success, failure, the talks, the food, the places, the hugs, the laughter, the tears, the tension, the relaxation.....(How do I describe baseball but being tensed up and fully relaxed all at the same time....it's nirvana), the work, the frustration, the sense of pride, the joy.......

"Soak every minute in.............enjoy the ride, for it will be over before you realize it started"..........








© Copyright 2017 JV Flattery (jjmerlynn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137302-When-Its-Over