*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137293-Scholarship-Application-Statement
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #2137293
A guide on how to write an outstanding statement for scholarship applications.
THE RHODES SCHOLARSHIP PERSONAL STAEMENT
NAME: HUDSON ALAKONYA
DATE: 7TH AUGUST, 2010

Dear Scholarship selection committee,
Nothing comes on a silver platter! I come from a humble family where unemployment, lack of finance and illiteracy has been a great challenge and a stumbling block towards development. Despite all this, I knew hard work, determination, focus and enthusiasm for my education will once change the whole menace. My profound hopes and faith in God have always motivated and driven me towards my success up to this moment. My childhood dream was to work in the field of medical research. My vision has always shaped my actions and decisions throughout my life. I realized my passion to major in the field of oncology back in the year 2006, my final year in primary school. My great uncle was diagnosed with throat cancer. I remember how I used to visit him daily to check on his progress and to offer him prayers and assistance as I could. It was always traumatising and pathetic. He could rarely eat. Swallowing the food! He did not like it at all. It was real an outrageous challenge and a setback to our family. We tried our best to keep his life, but because of the financial crisis; he breathed his last in the year 2007. All this afflictive and agonizing moments solidified my perception to specialize in cancer research at one point in my life. I have always believed the cure for cancer which has remained the reminiscent of the jigsaw puzzle will one day be achieved.
My academic and professional goals are to pursue MSc by research in Oncology and continue on towards a Ph.D. In order to achieve this great step in my educational career, I am applying for financial aid through The Rhodes Scholarship for studies at the University of Oxford. The course requires a minimum of Second Class upper in a biological science. It also requires proven excellence in English language. No GRE completion or written work is required. I am very much content that with my proven academic excellence, I meet the minimum entry requirement for the course at the University of Oxford. I scored a first class honour's In BSc Industrial Microbiology and biotechnology in my undergraduate studies; with it being the only one in my class at Technical University of Mombasa. I also worked at KEMRI Wellcome Trust Kilifi, Kenya, as an attachee where my research skills were greatly boosted. My attachment placement crystalized my devotion for becoming an oncologist in the near future, with the intensive research I was in involved in the departments of Microbiology, Epidemiology, Immunology, and also being involved in various research project report presentation twice a week.
I am a hardworking and dedicated individual with great motive to always excel in my studies. I have also appreciated the value of being involved in extracurricular activities. While in high school, I was a badminton player. I also served as the school captain for racket games for two years and a class prefect for two years. During my undergraduate course, I served as the class representative for three years, departmental coordinator for pure and applied sciences for one year, Chairman of Kenyan Luhya tribe students for two years and I was also a committed badminton player of the University team.
Back at home, I founded the Emalikha youth group in our small Emalikha village in the year 2012; after I was enrolled at the university. It aims at eradicating poverty in our village, supporting the old and sick people and also encouraging the youth to work hard in their academics. I have also in my small village, during my undergraduate studies and during my time as a volunteering biology and Chemistry teacher at my former high school, encouraged and educated people on the need to exercise, eat health foods (for instance avoid fatty foods like red meat which leads to obesity) and avoid harmful health practices like smoking as remitting measures towards preventing cancer.
I have great love that one time I will be part of Cancer research organizations in the world. I always know that, when you are enthusiastic about something important to many, you can't help driving away at it. My career is to work in Cancer organizations in my country Kenya, Kenya Network of Cancer Organization and Kenya Cancer association. I would also like to join African Cancer foundation and also the World Health Organization Cancer Programme. I would also like to work as a part time Lecturer in Various Universities in Kenya, Specifically teaching Oncology in order to educate our people towards preventing this world killer disease. I believe if I follow what I believe is right I can't lose on it.
I was born in a humble family background of six children, I being the third and the only one who managed to be enrolled for higher education hitherto. My dad is a small scale tailor who repairs people's clothes to keep his family going. My high school academics went successful after he leased our one and half acre land during the four year course. My undergraduate studies were funded by the Kenyan Government Helb Loans based on academic merit at high school. In the meantime, my financial needs are very high. Today, I work as casual mason in order to help siblings at secondary school pursue their academics. And so, my financial needs are very high. I am waiting to join my former university as a graduate assistant based on my academic merit, come September 2016.
I believe that The Rhodes Scholarship will provide great path for me to achieve my academic and career goals. I am an individual who doesn't stand any chance to dishearten those people who support me. I believe if given the chance I will put in the best to give the best. I thank you so much for your consideration.
Sincerely,

Hudson Alakonya
P.O.BOX 90420-80100, MOMBASA, KENYA.
Mobile Phone: 0710950585
Email: alakamhad@yahoo.com

© Copyright 2017 Alakonya (alakonya1993 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137293-Scholarship-Application-Statement