*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136826-The-Wedding
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Contest Entry · #2136826
Daily comp entry - a mother's protection.

The Wedding

The church was built of stone with a high roof and the stained glass window behind the alter let a myriad of colours brighten the sombre walls.

An elderly man wearing a dark suit looked eagerly over his shoulder as he stood with the priest before the sparsely popalated pews.

There were a couple of young girls in gaudy bright dresses sitting on the Bride's side and Simon and his mother sat on the Groom's side. Two uniformed men stood at the back of the church guarding the main door.

"So my ex girlfriend will just glide up the aisle, say 'I do' and take over my inheritence. Just like that," Simon hissed.

His mother nodded and held his hand and then after a pause, she leaned over to whisper in his ear.

"If your grandad is as stupid as your father then it won't last. Now don't fret. It's all taken care of."

"Dad died on his wedding day!" Simon whispered back. "What scheme have you got planned this time?"

"Why does everyone think I had something to do with your father's death?"

The organist thumped the keys and filled the church with 'The Wedding March'.

A young woman in white with a laced veil and holding a simple pose of pink carnations walked slowly towards the alter.

Then she stumbled and made a grab for the nearest pew.

She dropped the flowers and grabbed her throat.

Simon's mother squeezed his hand.

"She had a tickly throat," she whispered. " I gave her one of my special cough drops."

As the Bride collapsed to the floor Simon bowed his head and groaned.

"Grandad had a sore throat and I found the cough drops in your handbag and gave him one."

"That's a shame. I liked your grandad. "









© Copyright 2017 Michael (leahcimfive at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136826-The-Wedding