*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136088-Vanishing-Act
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2136088
A 17 sentence mystery solution to the Bard's Hall Contest (includes a guest appearance)
Vanishing Act

Everyone gathered outside the Historical Society’s Treasure Door and watched as Mayor Writon unlocked the door.

The newest detective, Peter, pushed his way to the front and announced, “Before you enter, Captain, did you notice the small burn marks around the keyhole?”

The Captain looked and nodded assent.

“And also notice that the floor is covered in dust which shows clearly that the only footprints are small, like a woman’s, and only appear to enter the room.

“How is that possible?” blurted the Mayor.

“Allow me to see your wife’s cell phone and I will explain it all.” Scrolling through the photographs, he found what he was looking for and asked: “Is this your wife, Matilda?”

“Yes, detective, that’s her.”

“It is also a picture of my missing companion, Clara Oswald! It is obvious to me that she picked this time and place to hide in. She was able to open the door using a purloined Sonic Screwdriver for the purpose of removing Mr. Bard’s diary which would prove that she was never a part of this town or its history. She then vanished into time again, knowing I was closing in on her and would wipe your memories of her existence for the sake of the time continuum.”

“Detective, you’re being ridiculous…” began Captain O’Leary.

“Doctor! I am the Doctor,” Peter said, taking out his own Sonic Screwdriver, wiping their collective memories, and leaving them with a suggestion that it had all been a hoax.

Outside, the Doctor approached the Tardis knowing that he was getting closer in his search for his lost companion.

“Hey, Mister. Is that a phone booth?” a young man called to him.

“What phone booth?” he answered, closing the door and vanishing.



Divider line



An entry for the Birthday Bash round of "The Bard's Hall Contest
Prompt: Solve the mystery of a missing wife and a locked room theft.
Line Limit: 17
Line Count: 17
© Copyright 2017 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136088-Vanishing-Act