*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136033-Heroes-of-this-Generation
Rated: E · Article · Opinion · #2136033
There are still heroes of this generation
Heroes of this Generation
I keep hearing reactionary people talking about how the WW2 generation had a sense of duty, while this one is selfish and has a sense of entitlement. But there are heroes in this generation too. The WW2 heroes saved us from the NAZIs. But there are heroes in this generation.
Look at the people signing up to be soldiers, nurses, doctors, police officers, coast guards, charity workers, psychiatrists, firemen and firewomen, and mountain rescuers (they rescue people, not mountains).
It really gets on my nerves that people think there are no heroes anymore, and that everyone only cares about themselves. There are, and there always will be heroes of every generation.
I have to admitt, I am not a hero. I tend to be a coward, but I would love to be a soldier, or police officer fighting evil, and helping the vulnerable. I just don’t have the physical and mental capabilities to perform such a job.
I read one columnist suggest that anti bullying campaigns are a sign of a sense of entitlement, and narcissus, in the victims of bullying, in this generation. That makes no sense. How does campaigning against other people being bullied make you a sufferer of narcissus?
Then there are the reactionary people who uses stock phrases like entitlement, narcissus, victim culture.
I have heard one upper class person saying that the working class, and middle class have a sense of entitlement, for feeling they have a right to go to university
And then I read another article, saying upper class people had a sense of entitlement for feeling they should go to university.
Sometimes people just throw these fashionable phrases around without even knowing what they mean.
I am sure there will be brave heroes in the next generation and the generation after that, and so on.
© Copyright 2017 RFSMITH (rfsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136033-Heroes-of-this-Generation