*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2131535-How-to-make-your-dog-wear-sunglasses
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2131535
The perfect guide for Basset hounds in the eclipse. Writers Cramp entry.
Me and my buddy, Jake, went around town yesterday, buying all the sunglasses from the local convienence stores. We might have gone too far, ending up with a few boxes full of em in the back of our pickup truck, but it's all for a good cause.

See, the solar eclipse that'll stretch across America hits us straight in the face, and all I'm worried about is how my Basset Hound will react.

The poor guy's gonna stare at the corona of the sun being blocked by the August moon in confusion. When the eclipse ends, he'd just keep staring cuz unfortunately he's a little slow. I still love him though.

I tried to give him my pair of sunglasses the other day but he snubbed me and walked away with his little stubby paws. Jake told me that I've spoiled him too much, and thats why he's being so obstinate.

Jake and I were planning on making an eclipse viewing party, so we were getting a bunch of sunglasses for everyone to wear, lest they fall in the same problem as my Basset Hound.

I hoped that the sight of hundreds of people wearing sunglasses would peer pressure my dog into wearing the thing.

Since we lived in a small town, we knew everyone in town. A pair of sunglasses meant an invatation later that week.

I even gave one to Old Miriam with the black cat, who had an extremely lousy reputation as a grouchy old hermit.

After giving them to everyone, we still had a box left of extras. Jake came up with the idea of giving them to the local animals, but I stopped him after the squirrel. The thing just left it without a glance.

It was a good laugh.

A week later, and everyone in town gathered in my Uncles field, bringing out picnic cloths and lawn chairs. It was the afternoon, and all of us looked up, sunglasses aimed at the sun.

The extra sunglasses came in good use, as a few tourists from out of town brought some fancy video cameras to record the whole thing. Miriam came too, demanding that her cat have a pair. Heck, someone even put a pair on my uncles cow who was just grazing.

In my hands was an extra pair of sunglasses for my stubborn basset hound. It currently ran in the grass, unaware of the event that might happen only once a century.

He looked at me with wide eyes as I forced it on him. After a short pause, he waved his head left and right, then surprisingly kept it.

The timing couldn't have been better, as the skys began to turn red. A faint hum came from the video cameras, recording every second. It became pitch black.

The birds, which had been previously singing in the background were silenced. Miriams cat was nowhere to be seen, while the cow rushed back to his pen thinking it was night time..

What did I tell you about my basset hound? He just stared at the yellow corona covered by the moon. At least the sunglasses were on him.

We watched in silence for 5 minutes before light returned to our realm.

Judging from the lack of cries in pain, everyone wore some kind of eye protection.

The birds started chirping, Miriams cat had slipped into the back of my van, and the cow started grazing again.

My basset hound just kept staring at the sun.
© Copyright 2017 Quarter Over (quarterover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2131535-How-to-make-your-dog-wear-sunglasses