*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2131219-Song-of-the-Preacher
Rated: E · Poetry · Action/Adventure · #2131219
Cowboy Poem.
Song of the Preacher.

A preacher once told me. Now listen here son, as I live by the Bible I once lived by the gun.
I hunted men down sent their souls home, with a lightning fast hand and a big Colt Dragoon.
An' I once had a Brother, a friend Fair n' True, he longed to go riding, a kid just like you.
But he fell in with outlaws, bad men n-some. Twenty-one notches he carved on his gun.

As for me I was a law-man pinned on my vest the star of a Marshall worn proud on my chest
Till I was handed a letter from an outlaw to a girl. It told how he loved her, how she meant his whole world.
It read, meet me little darling just at sundown, way out in the desert by the West side of town.
So I waited in the shadow of a Joshua tree. My pistol at the ready to set his soul free.

Up rides the young outlaw not suspecting a thing. I still hear the rhythm of his silver spurs ring.
He stepped down from the saddle in the cool evening sun. The last sound he heard was the click of my gun.
There's something behind me I spin where I stand, feel the buck of the big Colt Dragoon in my hand.
As my bullet tore through her its mission done well. The girl in the letter too late I could tell.
Without turning back who this outlaw must be, for my own little sister lay gazing at me.

Lay my brother and my sister ’neath the Joshua tree. Prayed the good Lord to take me right there on my knees.
I rode back to town an unpinned from my vest, the star that I'd once worn so proud on my breast.
When I hunted men down, sent their souls home, with a lightning fast hand and a big Colt Dragoon.
It's a nightmare that won't chase away with the sun. N' why this hand holds a Bible that once held a gun.

That's what a preacher once told me.
© Copyright 2017 Kevin F Dunn (kevinfdunn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2131219-Song-of-the-Preacher