*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124708-The-battle-for-Ryans-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Novella · Drama · #2124708
Chapter one about about a brilliant boy forced to take psychiatric drugs and its effects
The Battle for Ryan's Life

Chloe came home, threw her backpack on the table and called out. "Hey, Mom, you home?" No answer. "Mom?"

"Yeah," she finally heard. Feebled and pain-like. She frowned, threw back her long, reddish ponytail and ran upstairs. Her athletic legs took her up in four steps but her body was stiff with apprehension. As she walked into her mom's bedroom, she saw her doubled over on the side of the bed, her face grimacing. "What's wrong?" she whispered.

Rose looked up at her with effort and paused, reluctant to speak. "Cancer." She held Chloe's gaze, not wanting to upset her too much. But it did.

Chloe stared at her, noticing the wear and tear on her face, the pale skin, thinner body and hair with grey growing in. "Oh my God."

Rose looked down. "You'll have to take care of Ryan. You know my family deserted me for marrying an Italian."

Chloe was still stuck on her mom's shaky voice saying Cancer. There was no room to be pissed off at her hypocritical family or think about her brother. She ran to her side, sat down on the bed and put her arm around her, crying.

Rose returned a feeble hug. "Ryan's such a good kid. You shouldn't have trouble with him at all."

"Oh, Mom, please stop. We'll find a cure." She squeezed her, holding her closer.

"Too late, honey," Rose nodded and stared at the floor, then patted Chloe's lap with her other hand.

"Mom, I've studied nutrition so much. There's tons of cures!" she insisted.

"I know, I know. You're very good at it," she praised her and smiled into her eyes with a glow of love and discomfort. "It's too late," she despaired. She caressed Chloe's face. "Don't get your hopes up. It will only hurt more later."

Chloe dropped her head onto her mom's shoulder. "Oh, my God."

Rose cried. "I have enough savings to get you through for another year and take care of Ryan and the bills." She fought off the tears. "It's good you have your scholarship in college."

Chloe put her hand to her mouth, taking in this horrible reality. "Did you tell Dad?" she asked. She needed help. Support.

Rose looked at her in surprise. "Hah. You know he ran off chasing the beer truck ten years ago." She looked away, resentful. "I don't even want to try and find him."

Chloe silently agreed, recalling how he never sent a dime in child support in all those years. "What about Aunt Liz?"

Rose paused and murmured, "She's moving to California next month."

Chloe looked blank, suddenly alone and fearful. She looked at her mother. "How much...time?" She felt like she was on the edge of a cliff. A huge lump formed in her throat.

Rose looked back at her. "A month. But we'll make the best of it."

Chloe collapsed her body forward, her hands on her face. "No! No!"

Rose, though remorseful, remained calm and resigned. She said nothing, just caressed Chloe's back.

Five week's later, Chloe and Ryan stood by her bedside in the hospital. She was much thinner with hollow cheeks and weak but loving eyes as she turned her head slowly to them. "Hi, my darlings."

Chloe's mouth quivered and said nothing.

Ryan cried as he stood so still, as was his way. Rose looked at him. "Sweetie, Chloe will take good care of you." She lifted her head slightly but dropped it quickly. It was exhausting.

A minute later, Rose closed her eyes for the last time as the machines told them she was gone.

"Oh my God!" Chloe cried out and grabbed Ryan, wrapped her arms around him.

Ryan was in shock but contained it. At thirteen, it was his first intimate death experience.

At the funeral, Chloe looked at him as he held her hand and thought, Mom's right. He won't be a problem.

But things changed.


© Copyright 2017 artbyfemine (artbyfemine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124708-The-battle-for-Ryans-Life