*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124264-Half-Heart-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2124264
(Please read the prologue first) The first chapter of my fantasy story Half-Heart. Enjoy.
Twenty years later...


This was it. This was the day Nemo was going to show them all how wrong they were.

Ever since he was a child, Nemo had always dreamed of being powerful. The historical figures in the legends he had read - mighty kings, queens and warriors of old, who paved the very world they lived in with remnants of what their amazing power had done. Entire cities fell under the chaos of war, only to be built back from the ground up, even greater than they were before. Armies rallied in their thousands; knelt and proclaimed their allegiance to the one whose might was enough for them to risk their lives in battle.

The power to forge the world to his liking, with just a word and a wave of his paw; Nemo couldn't find much more to think about since the day he found himself truly alone.

The citadel in which he stood, carved into the mountainside by the architects of the past, was another example of what power could do. Someone had pointed at those rocky slopes one day and announced, "I want my palace there." And it had been built, exactly as they wanted it. Everywhere the Water-Wielder looked he could see it; from the old portraits hung on the wall of Myrn's former governors, heroes, nobles; the colourful, perfectly woven tapestries depicting scenes from the greatest of legends; the ornaments, urns and bowls of gems all over the tables, right down to the repaired cracks in the walls. Someone, at some point in time, had pointed, declared what they wanted, and had got it.

If he'd read all the signs right, today, the twentieth anniversary of his hatching, was the day that was going to change his life. Depending on what was going to happen, perhaps he too could wield a little bit of power.

He sat in the entrance to the citadel courtyard, looking down at his webbed talons. He was someone special; even the greatest of fools could've realised that. Right from the moment he could walk, visitors to the citadel had taken one look into his black eyes and recoiled in horror, often followed by a hasty excuse and a quick exit. It wasn't long until his father, the Governor Taranis, had ordered him to stay in his room whenever there were visitors, making as little noise as possible as not to 'arouse suspicion', which was a difficult and very frustrating task for a five year old dragonling. Still, his father was paranoid and ... a little strange even at the best of times.

Not to mention the countless times that Taranis had drilled into him the fact that he was bound to a special future; a future that no other dragon could imagine.

Warm sunlight poured into the courtyard over the eastern walls, illuminating the sea blue scales on his outstretched paw. Nemo clenched his fist shut, a determined grin flashing over his face. This day had been foreshadowed for many years; the day he'd come of age and be ready for whatever grand plan was in store for him. Father had always been sketchy on the details whenever he'd asked what was going to happen; the best answer that Nemo had ever gotten out of him was that everything was going to happen exactly as it should, and everyone's lives would be better when it did.

Was he going to start training to be some sort of hero, then? Like one of the warriors in the stories he'd been told? Nemo couldn't quite see himself in that role; he looked down at his skinny form and shook his head. He wasn't very strong, and never had been. If he wore a suit of armour he'd just sag to the floor under its weight.

Or maybe he was going to be taught a magical art of some sort. He'd heard of very powerful dragons that could not only use their elemental breath attacks, like fire and frost, but could also merge with their Element itself, becoming forces of nature in their own right. But he'd also been told that only dragons of a certain, ancient bloodline could do that, and so his hopes were soon dashed.

He wasn't going to get any answers from sitting there thinking about it; he'd done that for his entire life and still had no luck. Nemo stood up, raising his wings to catch the warmth of the morning sun's rays. He could see wiry, light blue reflections flickering this way and that across the sandstone pillars that dotted the sunny courtyard. Nemo inhaled deeply, catching the tiny droplets of water on the breeze, and then charged out into the courtyard. It was time for his morning swim.

Two servants stood beside the large pool of water in the centre, scrubbing its bottom with long brooms. One of them yelped at the sight of him dashing towards them and darted out of his way in terror, but the other merely sniffed and gave him a stern look.

"Master Nemo, the pool is being cleaned. You cannot--"

The water dragon stormed straight past him and dove into the water, making sure to give his tail a good whack against the surface as he submerged, hopefully sending a massive splash of water right into that smug dragon's face.

Nemo wasted no time in starting his laps of the pool. His legs and wings tucked themselves in, and the fins along his spine and tail rose. His streamlined form circled the rectangular pool, his tail swaying gently from side to side and occasionally flicking to give him a quick burst of speed. He watched the blurry form of the servant drop the stick of his broom into the water and stomp away in a huff, fanning his dripping wet wings. Nemo surged forward with a powerful wave of his tail, bouncing off the wall with his legs. It served him right, thinking that he could tell him what to do.

He did more laps than usual that morning. Swimming in circles for well over an hour would have bored anyone else half to death, but Nemo couldn't put into words just how much he loved being able to do this. He'd never had any water as a child, not like this. There were small fountains dotted along the citadel's walls on the ground level, but he always got into trouble if he got caught playing in those as a child. Eventually he had complained enough for Taranis to give in and have a pool constructed in the courtyard for him.

Then came the day he swore he'd never even think of again, for it made his heart seize with sorrow, when he'd felt natural spring water up against his scales for the first, and possibly last, time.

No, Nemo thought, the fins on his cheeks snapping open and slowing him down. He started forward with a paddle, his webbed feet easily treading the water. If today is the day I think it will be ... if today is the day I finally get my freedom, then it won't have been the last time.

He was falling into that trap again; the trap of reminiscing of that day when he'd tasted what it was like to live beyond these walls. He slowed to a stop, wings fluttering open as he gently sunk to the bottom of the pool. So much had happened on that day, but one event, one meeting, had etched itself into his heart forever.

I wonder if I can see her again?

At the bottom of the pool were a pile of stones that he had carved into seashells. The paint on them was starting to peel and some of the colours were a little muted, but they were as close as he was going to get to the real thing until he could find the biggest swimming pool in the world, the 'ocean', where apparently real seashells could be found in their millions.

He picked up a white shell dotted with little blue spots and rested his snout on it. He closed his eyes for a moment, opening his awareness to the silence and peace that his azure surroundings offered him. He could feel the sun creeping further still into the courtyard, tracing its warm fingers along his wing membranes. The same warmth that hugged his heart whenever he thought of her.

He rolled over onto his back, clutching her shell closed to his chest. He would see her again, he would make sure of it. But roots of doubt were already spreading throughout his mind, as he stared up at the quivering, blurry lines of the chain link barrier that had been put up across the courtyard roof following his escape that year, blocking his one and only entrance to the sky. He wondered whether she had forgiven him for abruptly leaving her like he did; if she'd somehow understand that it had never been his intention to abandon her. He clenched his teeth and his chest gave a guilty lurch as he imagined her returning to their little forest grove day after day, hoping that he would one day be there once again, waiting for her.

Would she even remember him?

And if she did, would she even want to see him?

He lay watching the sun come up for some time, casting flickers of light that zigzagged along the bottom of the pool, until a dragon the colour of a storm cloud lurked over the water, blocking it out.

Nemo sighed, his gills fluttering. He rolled over and placed her shell on top of his pile, right where it belonged. As unexciting as the sight of his father was these days, Nemo's heart couldn't help but give a little leap. Taranis had obviously come searching for him, so it must be time.

Time for whatever great destiny that had apparently been written for him.

I will be free.

Nemo pushed off the bottom of the pool with his legs and exploded out of the water, landing in front of Governor Taranis with a wet flop. His father merely blinked as Nemo fanned the water off of his wings, sending droplets sprinkling onto his scowling face. An irritated hiss from nearby, however, confirmed that he hadn't come alone.

"Watch it, you little hooligan," Lady Madalyn snapped, reaching up to wipe beads of water from a gold pendant around her neck.

Nemo could've done without the sight of the Governor's mate that morning, but then again, every day he managed to avoid her was always a sunnier one. With glistening scales the colour of ripened plums, bright emerald eyes and more jewellery than he'd ever seen on a dragon adorning her golden horns, neck, tail and toes, she was quite possibly one of the most beautiful dragons in Soven. It was a shame that beauty only existed on the outside, for now she glared down at him like she always did when she saw him, as though he had maggots wriggling out from between his scales.

But Nemo wouldn't let Madalyn's scorn bother him that morning; she was minimal in importance to what was coming up next. He stood to attention before his father, ignoring her as she fussed over one of the silver rings on her horns.

"Good morning, Father," Nemo said, dipping his head in respect. He stole a glance up a Taranis' face, and noticed that the Governor looked as though he hadn't slept in days. His sky blue eyes were bloodshot, the scales around them puffy with fatigue. He wasn't even wearing any of the jewellery he usually flounced around in; his long silver horns were bare, as were his toes. He wasn't even wearing his red jewelled medallion that signified his position as Myrn's Governor. Nemo thought he looked as though he'd just this second stepped out of his chambers, straight to him without a moment to lose.

"Nemo," Lord Taranis said, his blue eyes almost staring straight through him. He looked as though his mind was everywhere except where he was standing right at that moment. "Today's the day, as I'm sure you know. Your twentieth hatchday, and therefore the day you come of age. It is time to set you off on your path towards your true purpose, and a rich and prosperous future."

Bolts of excitement were shooting through Nemo's dripping scales, and he found his tail pounding at the ground behind him in anticipation. "I'm ready, Father," he said, already feeling the wind lash through his wings once more; you could only have so much fun flapping in circles around the courtyard. And his swimming pool only went so deep; he wanted to dive to the bottom of the biggest lake in the world and explore its endless depths. His world was about to swing open its arms and welcome him to what he should've had since his birth. "I'm ready for whatever test is ahead."

"This is not a 'test', not quite," said Taranis. "More of a ... ceremony. Great gifts will be bestowed upon you, gifts that no other dragon in the land could possibly imagine."

This was perhaps the most Nemo had ever gotten out of his father regarding the events of this day. The idea of these 'gifts' made his curiosity erupt with questions. Whatever they would be, they certainly weren't the pile of pebbles and new set of paints he'd received on last year's hatchday.

"So when does this ceremony start?" Nemo asked, trying not to rocket off into the air in excitement.

"Whenever you are ready," Taranis said. The dark grey dragon finally jerked into motion and turned his head towards the eastern archway leading back into the citadel. "Everyone is awaiting your arrival in the Great Hall."

"'Everyone'?" Nemo echoed, tilting his head.

"Yes. People have come from all over Soven to witness this ceremony today. It is a most momentous occasion for them; many have been waiting for this day for decades." His mouth hung open as though he was about to say more, but then it snapped shut. Taranis shuffled his black wings awkwardly.

Nemo didn't need to hear any more; he trotted off into the dark shade of the citadel, his wet feet squishing against the marble floor. Tall pillars scattered with runes and symbols from one of the Old Tongues led the way down the black onyx hallway towards the massive, ornate doors at the end that led into the Great Hall.

He could hear Father and Lady Madalyn's claws clicking along the floor behind him.

"Now remember, Nemo," Taranis said, then fell silent. "Just ... remember to be on your best behaviour," he finished at last with an edge to his voice that hadn't been there before.

Nemo glanced over his shoulder and grinned at him. "How insulting! I am always good," he joked. "No, but seriously, I got it. I don't get why you're so nervous. You said so yourself: this is for the better for all of us, right?"

Madalyn made a strange choking noise in her throat and swept away down one of the side corridors.

Nemo watched her tail disappear around the bend. "What's her problem?"

Taranis stared longingly after her. "She's been feeling ill this morning," he said. He tucked his wings tightly against his back. "I will tend to her later. Come, we're almost there."

Nemo wanted to sprint the rest of the corridor and burst through the doors; sprint onwards to claim his freedom, the power that was so obviously his birthright, and his reward for living like a prisoner for the first twenty years of his life. The moment he'd waited for was finally here. This was his salvation.

He managed to stop before the door, though, remembering his manners; Lord Taranis was always the first to enter special events like this one. Nemo shuffled restlessly on his feet as he felt his father step up closely behind him, trying not to just start yelling at him to open the door already! His tail twitched like a speared fish; the anticipation was unbearable.

Father was practically on his tail when he stopped. Nemo's mind was so busy swimming through all the possibilities before him that he barely noticed the Governor's ragged, panicked breaths.

The face of the dragoness he so wanted to see again smiled at him through the mist, just as something heavy and hard struck the back of his head. He felt himself falling, deep, deep into darkness, as his father's agonised screams echoed in his ears.
© Copyright 2017 Nightfall (nightfall-64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124264-Half-Heart-Chapter-One