*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123984-Insta-Siesta-Forever
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2123984
A free-to-use multimedia app that helps people sleep...what could possibly go wrong?
At the time it seemed too good to be true. A new invention that could help people sleep with just a push of a button. Yeah right, we’ll believe it when we see it, everyone said. Then the reveal date was set, April 1st. It sounded like an April fool’s joke on a global level; we all just sat there and laughed about it. But little did we know that this would be the day the world was left forever changed.

April 1st came and everyone was watching their televisions and wireless internet devices. A televised global event and everyone was tuned in with anticipation. They called it the Insta-siesta app. They said it was a free-to-use digital application. It utilized wireless multimedia devices to send out a subsonic pulse that affected the ear canal that sent signals to the human brain telling it to enter sleep mode, or so they claimed.

During the live broadcast, they randomly chose volunteers from the audience and tried the Insta-siesta app on them. They had a row of chairs lined up on stage for the people to sit on and asked them to try their very best to stay awake. They all agreed. There was a disclaimer on the bottom of the television screen that said that this was for demonstration use only and that the signal was strengthened just to emphasize the application’s effect. There was a brief countdown, the host raised his hand and pushed a button on his smart phone. Everyone immediately fell asleep. The host fell to his knees and laid on the floor. The camera suddenly fell down along with the cameraman. They were still broadcasting and you could see that everyone in the entire studio fell into a quiet slumber.

We all laughed at first. This gotta be some kinda hoax we all thought. The broadcast lasted for hours and everyone was still sleeping quietly. Emergency responders didn’t ever show up. Somehow this April fools joke wasn’t funny anymore.
It wasn’t long before the local news brought everyone up to speed with the current event. They said it was a global viral attack. They called it the Sleep Virus.

The news anchorwoman said the signal was broadcasted through all channels of electrical media. All of our televisions, computers, video game consoles and cell phones became an easy access point for the virus to spread. The cell phone towers and satellites magnified the output thousands of times its normal range, initially infecting everyone within a thousand mile radius from the studio that held the event. The Sleep Virus spread instantaneously and eventually spread throughout the world within days. Those who were already asleep fell immediately into a coma and those poor souls who were unfortunate enough to be awake at the time instantly fell asleep. Thousands of car accidents, trains derailing from their tracks, and planes fell from the sky within the first few minutes of infection as the Sleep Virus spread. Millions slept, and millions died. At that rate that number would’ve grew into the billions by the month’s end.

That was 5 years ago.

“Daddy, I found more fruits from the garden.”

“Thank you Elsie. You’re such a great help.”

I taught my daughter Elsie basic math and how to read and write and more importantly how to survive on our own. I guess all those years growing up on a farm paid off. We grew our own fruits and veggies. We also raised chickens and fish.

Elsie has no recollection of what life was like before the virus attack. I'm the only person she knows. I am her only friend and I am her only family.

I tried to keep things the way they were, before the sleep virus hit our home town. I walked around our neighborhood and cleaned the streets, beautified our neighbor’s gardens and the local playground in the hopes that Elsie could have at least, what seemed, like a normal life. But the truth of the matter was, it was a nightmare.

Every morning for the first year, I would wake up in cold sweat and run to Elsie’s room to see if she woke up. And every morning she would be up before I was. Her eyes wide open, just staring at the ceiling.

I came to the conclusion that something must’ve happened to her when she was born. She was born a day after the spread of the Sleep Virus. The virus must’ve had a different effect on her while in her mother’s the womb. Elsie didn’t sleep at all. Even when she tried, she couldn’t sleep. But she seemed healthy to me, so I let it go. Besides, there wasn’t anything I could’ve done to help her, even if I wanted to.

Everything I knew of was different, everyone I knew was gone. The first few years was the worst. I tried to hide the truth from Elsie, but everywhere we went, countless bodies littered the streets and buildings. I told her the people were sleeping and shouldn’t to bother them. But the truth was, when everyone fell asleep, there was nobody to take care of them. Eventually, everyone affected by the virus died within weeks. Except for us.

“Elsie, it’s time to go.”

“Okay Daddy, I’m ready.”

Elsie helped me collect flowers from our neighbor’s garden and we made our way to our backyard. I like to come out here to clear my mind and reminisce about old times. Elsie likes it too. I appreciate that.

“Daddy, is Mama going to wake up soon?”

“No baby, she’s resting right now.”

“Like everyone else?”

“Yes baby, like everyone else.”

“Mama should wake up already. I have a gift for her.”

“I know baby girl. Please put Mommy’s flowers next to her tombstone.”

“Happy birthday Mama, I love you and Daddy so much.”

I can’t hear what Elsie is saying, because I was born deaf. But, I can read her lips.

“I love you too baby girl.”



[word count 993]
© Copyright 2017 R. L. Puggy (playa7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123984-Insta-Siesta-Forever