*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123288-Friends
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2123288
Flash Fiction
Friends

Ella sat on top of the broken bridge, her favorite spot. It was close to town but the road had been closed so long trees were growing in it. The road used to lead to a small hotel on the mountain, but decades ago when a landslide buried the hotel, they built a new one on the other side, this one was abandoned.

Ella had been coming here as long as she could remember. There was a wonderful view and she always brought a basket lunch and spent the afternoons picnicking here, and chatting with her friends. Today Tess was here, they’d known one another most of Ella’s life.

“So, what happened with that Billy?” Tess asked.

“He’s started going out with Susan.”

“Susan! But she’s supposed to be your friend!”

“But I never told her I liked Bill, it was my own fault.”

“But, you told me...?” Tess said, touched to the core. “Oh Ella, I’m so sorry, what can I do?”

“Don’t do anything!” Ella said quickly, “Promise me!”

“But you know I can help! Why not?”

“You don’t understand how things work, something that seems so simple to you may not be simple.”

“Like, with that teacher...?”

“Exactly. You wanted to help me, but when they found Mr. Grant hanging off the cliff, he just quit and moved to Texas.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, I guess I scared him too much.”

“Yes,” said Ella, smiling, “but you meant well.”

“Are you afraid of me?”

“Of course not! I ‘ve known you all my life! You will always be my friend.”

“Oh, thanks!” said Tess, happy again. “Well, I’ve gotta go, see you next time!” and the ghost, still dressed as a maid in 1989, floated back to the old hotel where everyone buried in the landslide still lived.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123288-Friends