*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123173-The-Battle-in-Space
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2123173
Wrote this in the idea of it based simply on as a Pulp Sci Fi story from the 1950's.
The Battle in Space


Pluto 1994


Photon Beams blazed everywhere as man and alien fought to the last breath for control of the icy world of Pluto.


Royce of the IAE (Interplanetary Armed Forces of Earth) poked his head up carefully and slowly and flanked by his squad on both sides they returned fire.

The XT's as they had been dubbed twice the size of the average human there long limbs strong as a tree, heads so large and round quite intimidating to one who had seen them the first time and those eyes those black soulless eyes marched in formation firing there beam weapons at the humans.


Royce ducked as one beam nearly took his head off he cursed at the XT's before returning fire as one unfortunate fool behind him who was not so lucky his hesitation for a split second cost him his life.

The adrenaline was more than enough to make him sweat but that wasn't the reason why the temperature in his HE suit was too damn high again for him which was ironic since the temperature outside would cause him to freeze to death instantly long before he would suffocate.

The opposing force on the other hand wore no protection apart from there beam rifle's and what looked like some kind of mask around their face pumping oxygen or god knows what some kind of air to keep them alive.

Royce never questioned orders or defied them he was a good soldier the reason why he was ordered to hold this hill didn't bother him all that mattered was he was ordered to and the XT's where determined to take it from them.


The past twelve minutes he and his squad had been hammering them with grenades and heavy fire from on top of the hill but the enemy kept on advancing twice they had attempted to capture it and twice they had failed only retreating to regroup and prepare for another assault.

Finally with the explosion of one last grenade the XT's retreated Royce took a breath of relief he wanted to sit down relax but he couldn't no doubt another assault would be incoming he stood out from cover moving carefully in case of being hit by a sniper the enemy liked to intimate them a lot.

He made his way through the entrenched fortress he and his squad had constructed in the four hours since they had occupied that hill.

Gazing up just so he could see, he eyed the area of where battle took place, so many dead lay mostly XT's but there had been some casualties for them he had lost a lot of good men and women in just under twelve minutes, the XT's didn't take cover or try to duck when fired at they just kept advancing and shooting at them.

Suicidal and tactically stupid if not for their overwhelming strength in numbers.

Royce found a place to sit down then to catch his breath, the battle was not over.




© Copyright 2017 Mr White (mrwhitea1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123173-The-Battle-in-Space