*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2119775-Caring
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Business · #2119775
How an employee truly cares
"Who does he think he is?" thought David. The personnel officer had actually threatened to not pay him for 3 weeks if he was late in his timesheet. He felt anger grow as he stepped in head office. He would rip a new one into that ass.

As he walked across the cubicles he heard someone being chewed out. On a whim, he decided to listen. "We are tired of you taking too long to make payments. If you don't get it in by the end of the day, accurate and complete, you're out! Stay back all day if you have too, we don't care about your personal life! Now get the hell out!" David watched a tiny man barely in his late twenties trudge out. He looked so tired, that he was struggling to walk.

Feeling bad for the kid, David followed him to his desk. The paperwork he saw was staggering. "You have to process that much?" he said, aghast. The small man smiled a small smile. "Yep, the whole thing, no-one else does it." "Wait you pay suppliers and payroll for the whole company? But that's hundreds of people!"

The small man nodded. "That's why I start at 6 a.m. and finish at 7pm. My wife is expecting twins. I have to do it for them." "But you're paid a lot?" The man told him the amount. David was staggered, that was a whole lot less than him and he didn't have a family. "Why not get a new job, then?" whispered David. The small man looked aghast. "Because I am the 5th person in 6 years and the only one to last more than 16 months. The company and the staff need me. I can't let them down. They work hard, they deserve to be paid on time. Even if I have to push them. Otherwise Management won't pay them. And I would feel awful if they went without."

David looked at the little man and offered him his hand. The small man shook it. "David Walters." David introduced himself. "Damien Robert Smith." replied the small man. "Thanks for caring!" declared David. Following Damien's gaze; David look through the glass office where David recognise the top management brass, drinking champagne. "Someone has too!" whispered Damien.
© Copyright 2017 Lord Robbie - We got this! (rrobbie37 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2119775-Caring