*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2119304-The-Contractor
by Eogin
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2119304
A piece of flash-fiction Sci-Fi.
WC: 544

I wrote this piece of flash-fiction for a contest with the following prompt in mind:

"You and he agreed to three places to meet up in the event of a technological disaster, you are entering the last one now..."



The Contractor


         I leave the dying to the streets and climb a gray tower to reach the final meeting place. The mere prospect of seeing a friendly face makes my heart pump faster and fills me with an uncanny sense of brightness. They could send anyone to meet me, but I hope they send Maya. Despite all that's coming for me, hearing her say good work, would be the greatest prize.

It's been eight months since the stock markets crashed, four months from the death of the final electronic device, and just seven weeks since the virus spread through the world. The planet of eight billion reduced to hundreds; hundreds who will be gone by the first light of tomorrow.

The door of the forty-seventh floor opens to the roof, and she's already there. Maya's with her back to me, looking at the still smoking ruins of a once great city. Hearing the crackling beneath my feet, she turns carrying the widest smile.
“Wow!”
I can't help but blush, there is no doubt now that she's impressed. I get closer, head a bit down, trying to portray humility.
“Thank you. I told you I can do it.”
“Yes you did,” she turns again to the amazing view. “but I must say, I remained skeptical.”
I grin, and the greatness of my achievement fills me with a sense of power.
She chuckles a little and pats me on my shoulder.
“So, the final report please.”
“Hundred percent clearance, or at least it will be by the morning, there are a few down there yet to perish.”
“They aren't going to matter anyway.”
I clear my throat, feeling slightly insulted.
“They matter to me. I said a hundred percent, and that's what it's going to be.”
“Alright, alright,” She looks to the sky, still smiling, “a hundred is a hundred. The mining crew will be happy not to find stragglers. Either way, we're impressed. I've already got you another job. Make that one happen, and you'll become the youngest private contractor StarCo's ever employed.”
Those words get my heart racing. I can hear my mother's voice. With your brain, you will one day rule the Universe.
I was hoping for a break before taking another job, but if there is no time, that's how it's going to be. Career first.
“Where?”
“A14.”
“Oh, you're already in the fourteen? Damn, I've been here for too long.”
“The scouts only reached it recently.”
“So, what are the details?”
“It's going to be a harder one, but I promise you, this one is a career maker,” she glances to her com device, “transport's here, we'll discuss the job more closely on the way. This time you might even get a team.”
She turns to me, a childish grin on her lips.
“Do you want to say goodbye? After all, it's your first.”
I shake my head, smelling the death and destruction I brought.
“If I never hear the word Earth again, it will be too soon.”
She nods, working on her beacon, and opens a line of communication with the ship.
“First lieutenant to the bridge,” she speaks, “we're ready for transport.”
© Copyright 2017 Eogin (eogin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2119304-The-Contractor