*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118602-Why
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #2118602
A psychologist and his patient have a deep conversation over a game of chess.
Why? by Angel Rose

Parker fidgeted nervously in his chair as he contemplated what his next move on the chessboard should be. His psychologist, Dr.Blackwood noticed the tom cat's nervous behavior and decided to start up a conversation to try and calm him.

"Christopher, is everything alright?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"You seem to be fidgeting a lot. I've known you long enough to know that means something's up."

"I-I was just thinking..."

"About?"

"About what my next move should be in our chess game and... about you..."

"What about me?"

The tom averted his eyes from the psychologist, a light blush dusting his cheeks as his tail wrapped around his leg shyly.

"F-forget it. It's nothing..."

"Christopher, please tell me? I won't be mad or anything."

"I-I wanna know why..."

"Why what?"

"Why did you s-save me?"

"Are you referring to when I stopped you from ending your life or when I took you out of Heartland's asylum?"

"B-both..."

"I stopped you from ending your life because I believe everyone has a purpose in their life. You included."

"M-me?"

"Yes, you."

"What purpose could my life possibly have? I'm... broken..."

"You're not broken."

"Yes, I am..."

"What makes you say that, Christopher?"

"I... I'm no longer p-pure. I'm dirty. Filthy..."

"Because you we're raped?"

Parker nodded slightly, his ears drooping sadly against his head as small crystalline tears fell from his eyes. Noticing this Dr.Blackwood carefully placed a hand on the tom's shoulder, rubbing it to try and comfort him.

"It's alright, Christopher. Let those feelings out. Don't bottle them up."

"I-it's just... I... I don't..."

"You don't what?"

"I don't... know what to do..."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know what to do when..."

"When what?"

"When those emotions... when those feelings become overwhelming. When I feel like I'm... drowning..."

The psychologist lifted his patient's head to look him in the eyes, a sad smile gracing his lips as he saw more tears fall from the tom's eyes.

"You can always come to me, Christopher."

"I-I can?"

"Yes, I'm not just your psychologist. I've come to think of you as a friend."

"F-friend?"

"Yes."

"I've... I've never had a f-friend before..."

Consider me your first then."

"O-okay..."

"It's your move if you want to keep playing that is?"

"Y-yes..."

Parker fidgeted, taking a second to think before moving one of his pawns. His tail swished back and forth as he watched Dr.Blackwood make his move, taking his pawn.

"Y-you never answered my other question..."

"Which one?"

"Why did you take me out of Heartland's asylum?"

"Because the staff was mistreating you. They didn't understand you needed special attention. They would punish and restrain you for things you couldn't control. You're a special case that needs a certain patience not everyone is equipped with. That's why I rescued you and brought you to live in Terraria."

"Why do you believe I was raped? Everyone else said I was lying... even my own parents..."

"Because I can see it in your eyes. It's hard to explain but I heard in my spirit that you were raped. As crazy as it sounds to some people I believe God told me you were."

"Oh?"

"Yes, I believe God led me to you so that I can help you."

"Do you believe you can help me?"

"Yes, but only if I follow and obey God's orders."

"I see. It's your move..."

Dr.Blackwood moved one of his rooks as Parker swished his tail back and forth, contemplating his next move and what his psychologist had said.

"Do you believe in God, Christopher?"

"Yes, I was raised in a Born Again, Spirit Filled Christian home but..."

"But what?"

"My faith becomes... muddled at times..."

"What do you mean by muddled?"

"Sometimes I feel as if God's not listening to me and that I can't hear Him."

"Ah, I see. It can feel like that at times."

"But why?"

"Because Satan fills our mind with thoughts like that in order to make us stray. He doesn't want us worshipping and following God."

"If God listens though... if He's always with me... why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did He allow me to get r-raped?"

The psychologist frowned as he moved another one of his pieces, his ears lowering and his tail swishing back and forth. Tears began to fall from Parker's eyes again, dripping onto the chessboard below.

"Why? Why would He allow that? Does He love seeing me hurt? Does He love seeing my misery and suffering? Does He... hate me like all the others?"

"No, He loves you more than you can imagine."

"Then why?"

"Honestly, I have no clue why He allows certain things to happen in our lives. Maybe it's to make us stronger than we were before."

"Maybe..."

Parker sniffles softly, wiping his eyes with his sleeve before taking the handkerchief Dr.Blackwood was offering.

"T-thanks, Dr.Blackwood."

"You're welcome, Christopher."

"One more thing."

"Yes?"

"Checkmate."

A small smile graced the psychologist's lips as he chuckled, causing Parker to smile slightly.

"Well done, Christopher."

"Thanks. Care for another round?"

"Of course. This time I'll win."
© Copyright 2017 The Ink Maiden~ (lovelesswriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118602-Why