*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2116235-Then-and-Now
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Nature · #2116235
Self-awareness, nature and neglected perceptions
In the damp-cool of the mid-morning, before the rising heat of another summer’s day, a near silence befalls the world around me and the chaos of sensory overload abruptly ends with the silencing of the television... the internet also fading into uncertain oblivion, releasing its firm grip upon my life’s routine... shunting me away from the curiosity, concern and worry that have attached their entities to the person I have become... a vestige of the man I once was; now, overtaken and enslaved by the technology of my contemporary society...

And from this place where comfort and peace have been given, silence surmounts internal chaos, giving rebirth to clarity of thought and perception, and I feel a warm and comforting peace wash over me, as my mind is freed to perceive what had become no more than a white-noise, set upon the fringes of my existence; so simple, yet fulfilling a place for me to have forgotten...

The melodic droning of air, as it is pulled through a box fan... the bantering of starlings, as they frolic and feed upon the ripened fig fruits of the tree that grows just beyond my back door...

A distant rumble of thunder tells me of the approaching rain... my thoughts moving to the sight of the low hanging, dark grey and purplish clouds, with their swollen bellies sagging low above the ocean’s vastness; then releasing torrents of cool rain, creating turbulence upon the surface of the water-world below, as the thunder-clouds display their awesome power and fulfill the destiny of their existence...
© Copyright 2017 Allen Riley (fishingeagle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2116235-Then-and-Now