*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112399-Dear-Donald-Trump
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Political · #2112399
So you're president now.
Dear Donald Trump,
So you’re president now. Congratulations. I don’t mean that to sound sarcastic or mean spirited, by the way. You won a race that not many people can say they did, and that is quite the accomplishment. However, I believe with all my heart that you do not need me, a sixteen year old girl from Massachusetts, to tell you that. That said, I wanted to write to you to express a few concerns I have with your proposed administration, and address a few points brought up during this election season that I found, for lack of a better word, troubling.
I suppose it would be wise for me to begin with your administration. Mr. Trump, recently you signed an executive order that suspends admission of all Syrian refugees from entering this country, and severely limits that of other refugees by implementing a process you called, ‘extreme vetting.’ You have taken a proactive step towards banning all people seeking freedom from their terror-stricken countries from entering America. I understand you state that this action is necessary because of the danger these refugees propose. I’d like to remind you that Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Somalia have caused zero deaths to Americans since 9/11. I’d also like to remind you that nearly 500,000 people have died from gun violence since that date, and yet you propose limiting gun regulations.
In addition to the refugee ban, in just three weeks as president, you have also cut of federal funds to international organizations that promote Planned Parenthood. Mr. Trump, I hope you are aware that Planned Parenthood does much more than just provide safe and accessible abortions, seeing as I am well aware that you do not approve of such acts. Although I disagree on your methods of pushing what you believe to be right onto other women whom you will never have to meet or care for during or after their forced pregnancy, I would like to take the time to inform you that Planned Parenthood helps 2.5 million people worldwide access safe forms of birth control, provides life saving healthcare, and makes sex education a possibility for women and men who otherwise would not receive it at all. Mr. Trump, I am a women on birth control. I love my boyfriend very much, however I am by no means in the financial or emotional situation to support a child. Does that mean that I am not allowed to enjoy sex? I apologize for the crude question Mr. Trump, but I would like you to consider my position. Families are not started now a days until much later than they were in the past. It is not uncommon for a woman to be carrying her first child when she is in her mid thirties due to focusing on the advancement of her career, the continuance of an education, or the desire to be in a comfortable financial situation before brining a kid into this world. Do you propose that women wait until they are in their mid thirties to have sex? If that is the case Mr. Trump I can only assume that you would also expect men to wait the same length of time, in the interest of equality.
Additionally, I would like to address your newfound stance on marriage equality. You have stated that you do not support the act because you are a “traditional guy.” Mr. Trump, how can you justify denying the rights of another human to love whom they want to love by stating your personal feelings towards the matter? If you chose to personally object to the idea of a man being able to wed another man, I suppose I have no grounds in asking you to change that opinion, however I question your ability to take that right away from another based on these standards. You have also chosen to bring Mike Pence, an adamant opponent of LGBTQA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, asexual; if you were unaware) rights who has proposed the preposterous and not to mention widely disproven method of shock therapy to quite literally shock the gay out of people. Mr. Trump, I have no doubt that you are of adequate intelligence, so I ask you why you would bring on someone so filled with misguided hate as your running mate? While you oppose marriage equality due to personal beliefs, he dose so because of a passionate hatred of love between two people of the same gender. Doesn’t this seem, pardon my simplicity, wrong to you? If not, I would like to hear your reasons why, and I’m sure the roughly 23% of Americans whom you have vowed to protect and defend the rights of who identify as gay or lesbian would like to know as well.
Now, Mr. Trump, I would like to move on to talking about some of your more personal affairs that have been brought to public light during the course of your campaign to be president. I would like to begin with the 16 women who have accused you of sexual assault. I know that you have denied every one of their claims, and have even gone so far as to call them liars and attentions seekers, however I would like to ask you a few questions that I don’t believe you have answered. First, Donald Trump, do you think it is exciting, pleasurable, or fun to speak out and say that you have been sexually assaulted? Do you think that these women were tossing and turning in their beds the night before they decided to finally come forward and tell their stories because they were just so damn thrilled to get the opportunity to tell the world they a man had touched them inappropriately? I will offer you my opinion on the matter; it is terrifying. But these women pushed though all of the controversy, the backlash, the death threats, and the shame, and they spoke out. For what? None of them are rich because of their claims. None of them have achieved any notable fame or fortune and yet none of them have backed down. Sexual assault is not something that should be taken lightly. It is not ‘locker room talk’. It is assault, and it should be treated as such.
Speaking of locker room talk, I’d finally like to address the comments you made to Mr. Bush a few years back on that bus. To refresh your memory, you said that because you were rich and famous, you could do whatever you wanted to women. You said you could, and I quote, “Grab them by the pussy.” I will not apologize for my language this time, Mr. Trump, because you did not. And shouldn’t a president lead by example? I struggle on how to talk about this particular instance because I have so many questions and concerns, and I don’t want to take up too much of your tweeting-time. I suppose I will end this letter with a few final points. Firstly, I would ask that you consider the example you set for young boys across America with such statements. Statements that imply that if you are powerful enough, you can take a women by force, and she will succumb to you. Second, I ask that you also consider the example you set for young girls. The idea that a women’s worth is measured merely by her appearance, and ability to attract a man. Lastly, I wish to make one final plea. Mr. Trump, you are president now, and you will be for the next four years. I ask on behalf of immigrants, refugees, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQA, and women, please work for all of us. America thrives on diversity, equality, and equal opportunity, and I fear that your administration will prevent those things from continuing on in the future. Prove me wrong, Mr. Trump. Prove that you can be a conservative who still respects and upholds the fundamental rights of all people. For the country, for the people, and for me.
Thank you,
Audrey Martin.
© Copyright 2017 Joan Summers (audreyfaithm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112399-Dear-Donald-Trump