*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2109286-Man-Overboard
by Rmkv
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2109286
A man tries to summon up the courage to break up with a woman
Malcolm was a good man. His friends thought so, he certainly thought so.

"That's what makes this so darn difficult," he thought, playing with the button on his sleeve. 'It's time I acknowledge this sinking ship and take the lifeboat'

He sighed and closed his eyes, only to see the old Fiona. Full of life and laughter, with a zest for adventure and an armful of friends. He'd fallen instantly in love. It was as though an aura of magic had surrounded her. After the fairy tale beginning, however, he realized how shallow she really was. He could see now that she had only ever wanted him for his good looks - eye candy to flaunt. He also realized that the source for all the laughter was her father's money. She truly cared for no one, and her happiness was firmly tied to the amount of money she could throw around.

Malcolm found this out the hard way. When her father lost all his money, the twinkle in her eye was replaced with a drunken glaze. She became distant when she realized Malcolm's money was no where enough to support her extravagance. He was sure that she had tried to find other suitors, but who would have such a plain jane with no financial perks? She had come back to him, to use up what little he had.

Not that her looks had ever mattered to him.

He'd tried — God knows he'd tried. He had been patient and loving, waiting for her to rise above. To stop being a whiny, soppy mess.

He could see now, it was never going to happen. Her constant vacant state and boozy mind made it impossible to get through. His perseverance was thinning with time. Who was he kidding, there was no urge to see through the relationship anymore. It was time.

Maybe this would give her the twist in the arms to get her life together. After all, money wasn't everything. Life could still be lived, maybe even enjoyed.

He broke out of his reverie when he heard the main door. He steeled himself, she'd told him she was dropping by.

It was time.

He looked at the door, waiting for an unkempt, babbling Fiona to spill in.

But it was the old Fiona.

He was lost for words. He watched as she sprang around, telling him how her father's troubles were over. They were rich again. She'd done it - she had ridden through it. This time, father had assured her that he had secured their position for good; that they would never have to go through this hell afresh. He had made sure of it; she didn't know how he had done it, but she did know that he was a man of his words.

It was astonishing, how much her demeanor had changed so quickly. The color in her cheeks was back. Her blue eyes once again sparkled like sapphire. Her hair looked like spun gold, as if to reflect the riches that had come back to her.

How could you trust a person like that, who changed more skillfully than a chameleon?

He gave a sad smile and shook his head.

He pulled her over to him, held her hand gently and said, "Fiona, I have thought long and deep about this. It is, in fact, all I have been thinking about for some days now."

He looked warily into her eyes, not knowing how he could proceed further. Her eyes were wide with curiosity at his somber bearing; hadn't she just given him the most wonderful news?

Malcolm took a deep breath.

With every ounce of compassion he had in him, he asked, "Will you marry me?"
© Copyright 2017 Rmkv (rmkv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2109286-Man-Overboard