*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103359-The-Boogeyman-and-The-Missing-Toy
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2103359
Two young ones go on a search for a missing toy.
1971 words

"Good night!" Don Green's mom said as she tucked the covers in around him. As she left the room, she turned off the light. His night light turned on, and he closed his eyes. He wanted to go to sleep; he needed to go to sleep, because he had school in the morning.
A noise under his bed, made him sit up. He looked over at his door, thinking that his mom was going to walk through it and give him some warm milk. He was sad when his mom didn't come through the door, but the rustling sound became louder.

He looked at his closet but the noise was not coming from there. Don was afraid to look under his bed, he was afraid that there was something moving down there. He laid flat on his tummy, and leaned over his bed. He was surprised to see a little bit of a light coming from under his bed.

"You're 8 years old, too old to believe in monsters." Don mumbled to himself. His mom had told him that many times when he complained of hearing noises, and told her he thought that there was something under his bed. He thought about screaming to his mom, but had a change of heart. He slipped off of his bed, and lifted the cover up. He was surprised to see a green and yellow creature under his bed. Without thinking he yelled "MONSTER!"

"W-w-w-where? W-w-w-where is the monster?" The creature asked, His eyes almost popped out of his head, Don moved away from the creature. He looked at the thing, it was very funny looking. It's head was green, there was yellow strings for hair. "A-a-a-are you the monster?"

"No, you're the monster!" Don nearly yelled. His knees were bunched up to his throat as the creature crawled out from under the bed. Neither of them was breathing, fear took a hold of them. Don moved towards the wall. "What do you want?"
"I'm missing my toy," The creature inched closer to the boy. The pair stared at one another, both pairs of eyes so far out of their sockets that they nearly touched. The creature held out his hand to the boy so they could shake hands. "My name is Orgo, I'm named after my
daddy."


"I'm Don." The boy took Orgo's hand and gently shook it. They looked at one another for a minute. Don finally stood up; he was taller than the creature by just a few inches. "What kind of toy did you lose?"

"It is my favorite stuffed animal, my bunny. My mom cleaned my room and now I can't find it," Orgo's eyes filled with tears. He took his long, green hand and wiped them away. "Will you help me find it, please?"

Don looked at the door, he thought his mom would have heard him talking to the creature and come into his room to find out what was going on. When she didn't, he thought it was OK to try and help this weird looking creature. "I will help you, but we have to be quiet so we don't wake up my mom."

Orgo looked around, he was confused. "But it's so bright in here, I thought it was daytime. If you're supposed to be in bed, why aren't you?"

"Because I heard you and I got scared," Don looked over at his room door again, and then at the night light. "You are just seeing my night light. I'm scared of monsters, they might come get me."

"M-m-monsters?!" Orgo spun himself around, he kept turning around and around until all Don could see was a green funnel. It looked almost like a tornado, the curtains moved back and forth. "What kind of monsters do you think there are?"

"I thought you were one," Don admitted, he felt bad when Orgo frowned. Both looked towards the closet but nothing moved. "You don't look like me."

"You don't look like me," Orgo yelled. He began creeping back towards the bed. "You look like the monsters that scare my dad. He comes looking for treasure, but they call him really mean names."

"I get called wimp a lot." Don admitted, he looked away from the creature. "And scaredy cat."

"But you're not a cat. You look like a human to me. Maybe those other kids are confused as to what a cat is," Orgo moved towards the boy. He hugged him, his eyes moving along the room. "They call my dad scary, they call him the boogeyman. Sure our last name is boogey but the way they say it is just mean."

"Where did you lose your toy?" Don asked. He wanted to change the subject. He wanted to help Orgo find his toy so that he could go to sleep. "Did you lose it under my bed?"

"No, I thought it was above my bed, but I found you, your world." Orgo answered. "Come with me to my world and help me find my toy, please."

Don nodded his head, and they crawled under his bed together. Don was surprised how many of his own toys were under the bed. He thought to himself that it was really messy, and that he should clean it up.

Orgo crawled on the floor, looking back at Don to make sure he was behind him. After crawling for what seemed like forever, Orgo pushed on the floor and slipped under the boards. Don followed him without thinking. He was curious about the other world, Orgo hadn't said anything about it but he read Harry Potter and knew that the other worlds were always more interesting than the real world.

As he slipped into the world that Orgo lived in, he was happy to see that it was more than he expected. The ground was made of stone, the color of gray, yet it was as soft as his bed. The sky was blue with a bright yellow sun in the sky. The colors were bright and vivid; it looked almost like a movie. Don whispered "It's so beautiful here."

"I think that your world is much more beautiful than mine," Orgo answered. He looked around, doing the same thing that Don was doing. After a few minutes the creature grabbed the boys hand and began walking in the direction of his house. "Thank you for helping me Don. I think I know where the toy is, since it wasn't above my bed."

"Above your bed?" Don asked confused, they had not landed anywhere near a bed. In fact they were outside. "Orgo, do you sleep outside?"

"No, the portals between our worlds always take us to different places." He turned suddenly and headed to a playground that made Don very jealous. It had a swing set that had 20 swings on it, a slide that dropped off into a pool. There was a special house in the middle with a sign saying that it was for hide and go seek. "I think the meanest boy in school has it. He always wanted my bunny but I wouldn't give it to him."

"Who is the meanest boy?" Don asked, thinking about the meanest boy in his school. Joe Bugsy always teased him and made him feel bad about himself. He was the one who started calling him scaredy cat, because Don wouldn't jump off of the slide at their school. "Don't be scared to show me. Maybe we can get your toy back fast!"

"Right there," Orgo pointed his long finger at a monster that was truly scary. He was large, red, and hairy. There was so much fur on the monster that Don thought briefly of just pulling his hair until he gave the toy back to Orgo. "His name is Abominable; we call him Abs because he is so strong."

Don marched up to Abs; he decided that he would demand the toy back. Abs turned around as Don approached the monster. "Do you have Orgo's toy? His stuffed bunny?"

"Roar!" Abs let out a very loud noise, one that sent Don stumbling back. The monster demanded, "Who are you?"

"I'm Don, a friend of Orgo's. He thinks that you have his toy and he would like it back." Abs moved closer to him, a mean look on his face. Don took a deep breath, squared his shoulders "If you have it, you should give it back!"

"I'd eat it if I had it, but I don't!" Abs let out another loud yell. His eyes grew larger and he seemed even meaner than before. "Why don't you go away now before I beat you up?!"

Before Don could move, Abs made a fist and threw it at him. Before he got hit, Don ducked down and avoided the punch. Abs moved in to punch him again, and Don moved again. "Why don't you just give back the stuffed bunny?"

"I. Don't. Have. It. I don't want Boogeyman's lame toy," Abs chased him around the playground. As the passed Orgo, he put his foot out and tripped the hairy monster. Abs fell to the ground and cried out in pain. "You are going to get it now!"

Orgo and Don ran off before Abs got off of the ground. They left the playground and took off in the direction of Orgo's house. As they were running, Don thought back to what Abs said. Abs was telling the truth about not having the stuffed bunny, but they had no clue as to where it was then.

"I don't think Abs has your toy," Don said when they stopped running. He tried to think of everything he knew about the toy, which was nothing. "When is the last time you seen it?"

"Orgo! Orgo! Where are you?" His mother hollered down the street. The boys began walking down the street; Orgo seemed to be lost in thought. He didn't say anything else until they reached his house.

"Come on in, my mom will give you cookies and stuff!" Orgo said. He looked at Don and smiled. "I might have lost a toy but I found a new best friend."

"I like that!" Don smiled at the creature he had been afraid of. Orgo opened the door and walked in. "Whoa, your house looks just like mine."

"Really?" Orgo asked, excited. His mother walked into the room and looked at Don, her hand on her hip. "Mom, I want you to meet my new best friend, Don."

"Hello, Don. Would you like some cookies?" His mother asked. Before he answered she made her way to the kitchen. "Orgo is your room clean? You know that you are not allowed to have friends over if your room is not cleaned."

"Mom, you're embarrassing me." Orgo protested. When his mom walked back into the room, she was carrying a white stuffed bunny under her arms, and a tray of cookies. "You found Bunny!"

"I took him so that he could be washed." Orgo's mother placed the tray of cookies she was carrying down, and handed the beloved toy to her son. "After snack, Don needs to go home and that room needs to be cleaned."

"We solved the case!" Orgo cheered as he hugged the toy close to him. "Maybe we should solve more mysteries. We could do that every day!"

"Yes!" Don agreed, and found himself hugging his new friend. "But really we didn't solve this case, it kind of resolved itself."

"That's ok, maybe it wouldn't have without us." Orgo smiled. The boys ate the cookies in silence and thought about solving more mysteries. "I think we could do this, like Encyclopedia Brown!"

"Or the Hardy Boys!" Don and Orgo finished the cookies. After Don went home and finally went to sleep.





© Copyright 2016 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103359-The-Boogeyman-and-The-Missing-Toy